2006 Milan (early service)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So fellas, I decided to keep the Milan I was considering selling last summer, Its been my D.D. since then, We bought the car from a retired gent who had only managed to put 21,000 on it from 2006-2011. We have since ran it up to 44,000 now. This brings up my OCD with car care and my compulsions to change everything early. I have the Milan on a steady OCI of 7,500 miles.. ive also changed the air filter and put some fresh tires on her.. that's it.. cars a dream.

So, the transmission, no problems, However I usually change the fluid on everything I own at 30,000 miles. Ford states on this car it needs done at 150,000 at a charge of $250.00 I know Im not a Ford engineer, but that just seems very long to me.. I don't see me letting it go that far. I have not decided just how long I will keep it, but likely it will be at least 5 years or 100,000- 130,000 miles. yes its the 3.0 with the non problematic automatic transmission.

If you owned it... ?

I'd change the ATF/filter anytime from now to 50K. ATF fluid is cheap....transmissions are not.

My Fusion(same as the Milan)has the 4 cyl engine with 151K. I do change the trans fluid at about 30K and the engine oil every 10K. Both still perform like new. The Fusion has been one of the best cars I have owned. We have driven it to Florida 15 times with another trip planed in 3 weeks. Also one trip to Maine. I hope to see well over 200K before retiring it.

On very low mileage cars, change things based on years, not mileage. I would do drain and fills on that transmission starting immediately.

im seeing a trend.. so the better question on this car (ive honestly not looked) is it a filter in pan (pan drop) ordeal ? Or is this a pump it out, pour it in ? somebody clue me in as I will change it soon.

I had an '06 Milan with the 3.0, the Aisan 6 speed is a flawless unit. My wife put approx. 120,000 mi. on it, then my daughter bought it and it currently has about 140,000 mi. Transmission service has never been preformed, as I recall this unit was a lifetime fill and I decided a long time ago never to service it. I honestly don't remember the 150,000 mi. service interval I will have to check her owners manual.

The car has been trouble-free since day one and my daughter is in her last year of school so it will see quite a few more miles after graduation. The transmission has always shifted properly.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I had an '06 Milan with the 3.0, the Aisan 6 speed is a flawless unit. My wife put approx. 120,000 mi. on it, then my daughter bought it and it currently has about 140,000 mi. Transmission service has never been preformed, as I recall this unit was a lifetime fill and I decided a long time ago never to service it. I honestly don't remember the 150,000 mi. service interval I will have to check her owners manual.

The car has been trouble-free since day one and my daughter is in her last year of school so it will see quite a few more miles after graduation. The transmission has always shifted properly.

I appreciate what your saying, however ive never bought into the "lifetime fluid" claims. Ford service states its a 150,000 and im 98% sure I read the same thing in the manual. so this stuff does need service. I have no idea why a transmission service would cost $250.00

Last edited:
The tranny should be fine to get you to 150k miles without touching it if that is what Ford recommends.

I've got well over 200k miles on my "lifetime" fluid. Which reminds me that I should post the Blackstone analysis.

According to a quick Google search it should have a dipstick so you can do a pan drop and replace the filter or just suck and fill through the dipstick tube.

You can get the filter on Rockauto for $45 not sure if it's cheaper anywhere else.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
The tranny should be fine to get you to 150k miles without touching it if that is what Ford recommends.

I've got well over 200k miles on my "lifetime" fluid. Which reminds me that I should post the Blackstone analysis.

that would be great information to have.

Originally Posted By: tig1
My Fusion(same as the Milan)has the 4 cyl engine with 151K. I do change the trans fluid at about 30K and the engine oil every 10K. Both still perform like new. The Fusion has been one of the best cars I have owned. We have driven it to Florida 15 times with another trip planed in 3 weeks. Also one trip to Maine. I hope to see well over 200K before retiring it.

Good advice here.

The Fusion/Milan/Zephyr with the V-6 were equipped with the Aisin AWTF-80 SC 6 speed gearbox. They were considered lifetime fill, not only from Ford, but Aisin.

Now take that for what its worth, I had made the decision when I bought the car new that unless it had ever given me any trouble I was sticking to the lifetime fill as recommended in the owners manual. These were very well built transmissions with very little issues reported and used by several different car makers. Ford chose after a couple of years to go to their own gearbox behind the V-6 and it wasn't nearly as reliable as the Aisin.

Its your car and you can choose to do as you wish, but I/my daughter haven't had any issues since new.

I have an 07 Milan AWD V6 with 135K on it, never really touched.... much of anything. Brakes, engine oil, did coolant once. I flushed the power steering a few years ago.... that's about all the maintenance I've done. Thing runs great.

Service it. Don't fall for the lifetime marketing advertising for the clueless sheeple. Has an automaker or transmission manufactured ever stated what "lifetime" means?

ATF filter should be good for 100k. Drain/refill the ATF and repeat if necessary. UOA the old ATF if you want to see how poorly its performing.

Inline filter, like the Magnefine, could be considered.

All other fluids should be changed based on time. Bleed the brakes, change the antifreeze...

Most of my cars lasts 4-5 so-called lifetimes with maintenance.

pbm said:
I'd change the ATF/filter anytime from now to 50K. ATF fluid is cheap....transmissions are not.

Very sound advice. I always liked those cars.

Last edited:
Im taking the Milan to the smokeys mts in Oct, I will do it around that time.. Should be getting close to 50,000 by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back