Minimum OCI for Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a mileage that bitogers can all agree on that is a minimum OCI I can run my 2012 4cylinder Honda without being wasteful?

I drive hard both city and highway about 75 miles per day. I use oem filters and either Mobil 1 syn or pennzoil platinum (platinum seems less noisy)

I think I fall in the severe category and feel 5k is kind of a minimum mileage I should run it. Manual says 7500.

I actually had a Honda foreman tell me to change at 3k with Dino or syn and he told me Hondas eat oil like crazy now.

I'll err to the safe side but don't want to be wasteful.

I don't know if anyone can pick an oil change interval(ODI) for you but, use the maintenance minder to start with!
smile.gif

My buddy is on about 4500 miles(60% on the MM) on his factory fill(FF) in his '14 CR-V. He asked me, when to change the FF oil...IDK, I guess now is a good time!?!?

My 82 year old dad drives 2500 miles per year, I change his oil once per year.

He tells me his oil oil has 2500 miles and no need to change it.
smile.gif

I think 7500 is a very short normal oci unless it's the first change. Maybe aim for 9-10 k and one year max interval.
7.5k must be for severe duty because the standard interval should be 12,5k.
Use 7.5k if you have short tripping, cold starts, towing or veery dusty.

Last edited:
Push the trip meter button until it gives you % left...change oil and the other sub codes. Follow the MM, don't listen to the "Honda Foreman" because he's living in the 50's. If you really ran severe, which you don't, the MM would tell you to change at 6k miles. What manual do you have that says 7500 miles...it's not in mine.

Honda Foreman is a line of ATV's so if they're talking to you seek help.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
I think I fall in the severe category and feel 5k is kind of a minimum mileage I should run it. Manual says 7500.

I have two Hondas (see signature). I run them both @ 5,000 mile intervals. I should probably push the CR-V to 7,500 miles or 10,000 miles, but I just don't care to. I enjoy changing the oil and 5,000 miles is dead easy to remember because I do it on 5,000 mile increments (75,000 - 80,000 - 85,000 - etc). I never have to refer back to my maintenance log to see when I last serviced the car. I look at the odometer and know.

Every 5,000 miles: oil and filter and tire rotation
Every 25,000 miles: power steering, transmission, brake fluid change
Every 50,000 miles: coolant, transfer case/rear end fluid change

Does the 2012 have an oil life monitor, or maintenance minder of some type?

How much of your 75 daily miles is Highway vs City?

With that highway use, Id start with the oil computer and verify with UOA. I suspect you may be able to take it further, but would want to see the stats first.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I run them both @ 5,000 mile intervals.

I'm with Hokiefyd on this one. In my 2010 Accord, I change the oil in early spring and late fall. This ends up being approx. 5k miles OCI's. I live in Northern Indiana, but this lets me change my oil without doing it in a snow drift.

If something "came up" in April or November and I had to drive to California or got sick couldn't get the oil changed, I know I won't ruin my car. It's fine.

I'm sure I could run my PU until I hit 10 or even 15k miles. But, I like changing my oil. I like changing the fluid in my vehicles. It's a hobby that I enjoy.

Run whatever short OCI you want.

wifes 2010 crv i religiously go by

5,000 mile OCI w/ 0w20 mobil1 afe (or castrol edge, whatevers on sale)
15k miles rear diff fluid
30k honda atf fluid
2 yrs on brake fluid
30k miles ps fluid

Is the OCI just 7500 miles with an API SN oil? If so, I would run conventional at 5k and be done with it.

I never trusted the OLM in my wife's old Fit (after it said 50% left after 5000mi synblend), although it was never tough on its oil. She was mostly a short-tripper in the mountains so I gave it a 6000-7000 OCI.

Now, if you want to make sure about maintenance, that ATF fluid is the one to watch. Better now with the DW-1 compared to the Z-1 but jeeze, I was even worried about driving more than 20K (mountains) on the fluid.

I have a 2014 Honda Accord and just went through this very same thing. I did my first OC @ 5K. I used Honda A01 filters and Mobil 1 0w20 AFE, plus 150ml of Liqui Moly. Did another OC @ 5K along with a Blackstone UOA. This time, I used Mobil 1 0w20 EP.

Blackstone's comments were to go to 7.5K this time, which I then will have another UOA done. Some will say that this was unnecessary, but I beg to differ. This vehicle will indeed see a 10k+ OCI, just not at the start.

Your 2012 Honda has a maintenance minder which determines the OCI for you. When the oil life gets down to 15% as calculated by the computer is when you should start changing it.

The only "minimum" OCI given is once per year, if it doesn't doesn't get down to 15% after a year has passed.

As far as determining whether you're normal or severe, guess what? The MM does that for you as well
smile.gif

I'd stick to the OLM. I'm doing that with the new CR-V. Put it this way, my dealer has a program for free oil/filter changes for life IF you follow the OLM and bring it to them to change the oil/filter. Did I mention for life and free? If the dealer has this much confidence in the OLM, then that satisfies me. Don't give me the "it's a trick to get you to the dealership so they can sell you headlight fluid" kind of thing. Sure, they might hit me up for tire rotation, but that's 14.95...well worth it to me. My other Accord, it's 13K OCI with M1 EP 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: kenpoed
Is there a mileage that bitogers can all agree on that is a minimum OCI I can run my 2012 4cylinder Honda without being wasteful?

I drive hard both city and highway about 75 miles per day. I use oem filters and either Mobil 1 syn or pennzoil platinum (platinum seems less noisy)

I actually had a Honda foreman tell me to change at 3k with Dino or syn and he told me Hondas eat oil like crazy now.

I'll err to the safe side but don't want to be wasteful.

They do??

I'm not so sure about that. Just follow the MM you'll be fine. Hondas are very easy on oil.

I think it's like a lot of things...if you want to go by the electronic minder on the car for oil value that's great...if you want to change your oil on a schedule independent of the minder that's fine too. It's similar to if someone thinks regular UOAs are of a particular value to them or not.

Personally, I'm not one to extend OCIs driving a DI engine whether Blackstone Labs says "try 8K next time" or not or the oil minder says I have a 20% value remaining. I find it easier to change the oil on a schedule than wait on an electronic device telling me it's time to change. Typically, that's at 5K miles or six months whether I have 5K miles or not. In my case, if I have 3700 miles at the six month mark that would generally mean that I've done a lot of short trips and I'd would feel fine changing the oil whatever the car electronics were telling me...for me, a pre-defined schedule normally trumps a dashboard nanny that's telling me there's x value to the oil.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Sounds like easy service to me. Why do you think you are severe? Are some of those 75 miles at the track?
Maybe because the OEM Honda service replacement Filter is a "Fram"
smile.gif

JK.

I agree, no severe service here. Driving "hard" is not necessarily severe service - though you will eat up the zdp EP add faster. Some zdp supplement would be all that's needed to go 7K. ( P.S: If you find any let ME know. This stuff has disappeared.

I agree with many above. Change the oil at MM without an issue. Honda MM's calculate how you drive and base it off of that. By you using Pennzoil Platinum, most likely you can reset the MM once it reaches 0% and drive until the MM reaches 50% again. This way you are utilizing the Synthetic oil 1.5x longer than you would with conventional, without assuming you can drive double of what's recommended with synthetic, without doing a UOA first.

Honda programs their MM based on conventional oil use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back