chain bar lube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a growing amount of people who use rapeseed oil from the grocery store as
chain bar oil here in sweden.
It sounds good and i have even seen an harvester using it, he diluted it with about 10%
ordinary chain bar oil and says the the swords and chains last longer and that the cost of oil is lowered.
- any comments?

I use supertech bar and chain oil, I believe it's 30 grade. My cheap old home depot chain saw is still going strong, doesn't eat chains, the bar is fine. And the gallon of supertech is only half empty. Don't know how much rapeseed oil cost but Wal-Mart is cheap.

When you say "chain bar" oil, you mean for a chainsaw? That is one of those applications in which you can use almost anything that will flow properly. Any sort of motor oil, gear oil, or probably even waste cooking oil, as long as it flows well at the temperature in which the saw is being used. Rapeseed oil (canola oil in North America) would make a fine bar and chain oil.

I bought a gallon of bar and chain oil for my chainsaw about ten years ago, and at the rate I'm going I'll still have most of it when I turn 100!

Originally Posted By: ac_tc
Theres a growing amount of people who use rapeseed oil from the grocery store as
chain bar oil here in sweden.
It sounds good and i have even seen an harvester using it, he diluted it with about 10%
ordinary chain bar oil and says the the swords and chains last longer and that the cost of oil is lowered.
- any comments?

In the USA chainsaw lab oil is pretty cheap. Maybe $8.00 gallon at TSC. You need a tacky component for chainsaw bar oil so it sticks on the chain. No sure how you will get that if you only use 10% chainsaw bar oil.

If it flows and sticks then why not, total loss lubrication anyways. Only thing I'm worried about with using veg or nut oils is gumming, nothing worse then realizing your oil pump is locked solid by gummed up oil at the start of the day.

I use Renewable Lubricants Bar and Chain oil (also works awesome for bicycle, motorcycle, and ATV chains). It is canola based, but has anti wear and tackifier (not sure that is an actual word) additives.

Pure canola would lube fine, but it would also spray all over the place as it does not stick to the chain.

1:1 mix of used Dexron and used 80w-90.

The old standard in the Pacific Northwest unless you had a nice new Stihl or Husqvarna and used it to make a living.

I use a 1:1 mix of new Dexron II and new Gear 140 on my motorcycle chains, I think it works better than any of the expensive chain sprays I've tried.

I might try the canola oil, who knows.

Well i use around 5 gallon/ year of chain oil.
( it aint a 30 grade its actually a vg 100 oil so its quite thick.) Thing is that the bio version wich seems to be rapeseed ( canola?? ) blended with natural rubber gives trouble with the saws. The rubbery part gums up and acts like a glue. I aint to happy to breed the fine mist of oil thats flying around and its also about twice the prize compared to rapseed oil. im gona give it a try to se if my saw bar wear will increase.

I'm guessing the natural rubber is blended in as a tackifier? If so, I can see where that would cause trouble - rubber cement.

I also guess that the tackifier used in the dino oil mainly used in the US is not green enough for use where biodegradable oils are required (dino oil IS biodegradable, but don't get me started).

Good to know about the gumming properties of the bio stuff. I'll stay away. I see the same gumming tendencies with the oil used in my fryer, so it will be interesting to see if plain canola/rapeseed is any better in that respect.

I did a lot of sawing before bar oils were common - with SAE 10, 20, or 30 motor oil. Sometimes with ATF to keep it flowing. I didn't have bar problems unless the oil stopped flowing because it was too cold, or the tank ran dry from the thin oil warming up. But I attribute the good results mostly to good bars and Windsor tips.

Now I'm using dino bar oil, and I've had mixed results. Still ok with the good bars, but disappointing with the tips of cheaper bars. Still, the tackifier seems like a good thing, esp. on a 36" bar, so I use the bar oil. I cut it as needed with used ATF or motor oil to keep it flowing in the cold, or just to extend it and get rid of the used oil for the small bars.

I've found that filtering clean used oil through used fuel filters from my injected vehicles produces good results. I know it's cleaning it up because the filters plug up after about 5-10 gallons of old oil. Clean enough for fuel injectors is clean enough for a saw oil pump in my book. And no problems with the saw oil filters this way either. Pondering using a bypass type filter for this duty... but may be a solution in need of a problem.

Have the people reporting better results been pumping a larger quantity of the cooking oil because it's thinner? Could that be contributing to the good results? Or have they adjusted for that?

Testing for a couple of hours now.
- chain doesent pick up as much dirt now.
- the saw uses a tad more oil.
- the chain runs cooler than Before. Less chain stretch.
- no gumming on the Equipment.
- new smell, slightly pancake like....
- cant se any increased wear on sword or chain.
Looks good so far, this is on straight new rapeseed/ canola oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back