2015 VW Passat TDI 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until we understand more the benefits/trade-offs of the upcoming Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30, one cannot ignore the 'more bang for the money' factor for the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30. We are talking about a VW 507 oil with good all around specs for a mere $6.25 a quart (Amazon subscribe/save price)!

Any low-saps oil is just fine. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or 0W-30 which they just released to replace their 5W-40 is a great choice. Also the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 as well was the AMSoil Euro 5W-30 is great.

My cruze diesel for all intensive purposes requires the same type of oil and I run the AMSoil Euro Car low-saps 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Kory
Any low-saps oil is just fine. Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 or 0W-30 which they just released to replace their 5W-40 is a great choice. Also the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 as well was the AMSoil Euro 5W-30 is great.

My cruze diesel for all intensive purposes requires the same type of oil and I run the AMSoil Euro Car low-saps 5W-30.

I just saw that M1 released 0W30 X1. Seems very interesting oil with little bit more TBN, so it might hold better in gasoline turbo engines than their 5W30 ESP which has lower TBN.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I just saw that M1 released 0W30 X1. Seems very interesting oil with little bit more TBN, so it might hold better in gasoline turbo engines than their 5W30 ESP which has lower TBN.

Also be mindful that Mobil 0W-30 X1 is NOT VW507 approved. it might be ok but proceed with an early UOA just in case.

Originally Posted By: SR1919
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Also be mindful that Mobil 0W-30 X1 is NOT VW507 approved. it might be ok but proceed with an early UOA just in case.

True. If I do it, I might only in the winter months.

Last edited:
Use vw spec oil always, and mind the dipstick if You do lots of urban cycle. That 2.0 will have dpf, and that is a problem when doing an urban cycle.

Dont overthink the oil spec, if vw says 5w30 507-classified go with it, 0w if it easies your mind for winter but always vw spec, dont use thicker oils. 1.9tdi pd had camshaft problems because of non vw spec oil, with 2.0 around 2005-2010 heard of crankshaft bearing failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back