Brake bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If you are trying to establish a pad coating on the disc you MUST drive a mile or two without touching the brakes.

That's where a Saskatchewan highway at 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. can work real wonders.
wink.gif
You can do all the hard stops you want without endangering or inconveniencing anyone, and can avoid touching the brakes for many, many miles after.

I just got some New pads that I have yet to install, perhaps a little overkill for my Van, but I want some serious stopping power when called for.

Hawk HPS pads. Here is the instructions on the Box:

I've never seen 130 grit sandpaper before.

20150326_204926%20copy_zpsdda5ubkn.jpg

I did a couple hard slow downs on my previous pads, like 60 to 20mph, 3 times in a row. The first time took forever to slow, the second much better, the third good. I was able to drive for 10 miles without touching the brakes on the highway afterwards, and when I did finally brake, the brakes had never felt better.

Unfortunately these current pads(bendix titaniummetallic2) are wearing poorly, with the outer pad tapered and more worn.

I'll likely get new calipers as my current ones are decade old pep boys specials from when I did not know better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back