Oil recommendation for 84 Caprice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 84 Chevy Caprice coupe with a 305 and just over 30k miles that I am contemplating taking out of storage for the summer. While it is old; it still has low mileage. It's been sitting for a while. I believe GM originally recommended 10w-30? Any special considerations on what to put in for oil when I change it?

Thanks,
Ryan

I'm not exactly sure of the transmission. I know it's a 4-speed and that's about where my knowledge ends
smile.gif

Stick with an oil with added ZDDP, such as T5, or M1 HM, or similar, the 305 seems to have soft/weak camshafts (or at least the ones I've had have had them).

I had a Scottsdale with a 305, gutless wonder but pretty reliable. I would run a HD Mineral Oil like Shell Rotella T that has a nice hit of ZDDP.

I had a 84 impala which I ran from 77K-218K with 1 b/f issue. The rest was just wear out items. I believe it had the TH700; Never paid attention to the oil I used; didn't burn a drop when I sold it.

Towed a 22' fiberglass sailboat a few times, so it must have had a bit of torque.

Probably any 10w,5w-30 will do fine.

Last edited:
It is definitely a 700R4/4L60 automatic with a flat tappet 150HP code "H" 305. I bought mine new (loaded black sedan, sport suspension, no vinyl top), 253K miles. This is just after the soft cam issue that started in '78, but I'd still be careful (I am).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Isn't that about the year when they had soft camshafts?

You might have to use a diesel oil with ZDDP in it.

Yes, but all the ZDDP in the world won't help.

Pennzoil high mileage 10w30 is what i would use and a napa gold (Wix) oil filter

Flush the brake system and change the oil and filter in the transmission with max life dex 3 and an a/c delco trans filter

My first car was a 85 Caprice coupe! Loved that car. 84 was not a bad camshaft year to my knowledge. I always ran PYB 5w30 but Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30 is what I would run. Does it shoot a blue puff out on startup? They aren't terribly slow. I ran a 16.8 @ 82 with the lid flipped on the air breather and the trunk empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back