AMSOIL AND A 2014 CHEVY SILVERADO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rbarrios
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Originally Posted By: zuluplus30

Per the 2014 Silverado Owners Manual:

SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines.

Interesting. The 6.2 in my 2014 Camaro calls for 5W-30. The 5.3 in my 2007 Tahoe calls for 5W-30.

Question: Why dexos1 0W-20 engine oil?

Answer: The new 5.3L and 6.2L V8 EcoTec3 engines available in the new 2014 Silverado 1500 and Sierra 1500 trucks are the most fuel efficient and technologically advanced engines in the market. These engines feature an advanced combustion system that maximizes the potential of the direct injection (DI) fuel system, active fuel management (AFM), variable valve timing (VVT), two stage oil pumps and other technologies. The dexos1 0W-20 oil supports these technologies and is an enabler for the engines’ improved fuel economy performance.

So do tell. Do those systems take a break until the oil is up to operating temp and has thinned out?
I doubt it.
The truth is an engine runs just fine on a range of grades perhaps not optimal however.
And in the real world going from a 30 grade to a 20 grade will show no fuel consumption difference.
Heck my charger gets the same fuel economy whether I've got a 20 grade in the sump or a 40 grade

Posts like that are hilarious. Shows how little is being understood.
Chalk it up there with tighter tolerances necessitate using a thinner oil.

Originally Posted By: zpinch
Yeah, I am tempted to move to a 10w30 from 5w20 in my CRV, then see how it fairs in the bypass filter setup.

if you have consumption issues i wouldn't hesitate.

Originally Posted By: delasueno
Well everyone, I put the Amsoil 0w20 in my truck yesterday and just as I suspected....nothing happened. My engine didn't seize up or run funny.

Nobody said that it would.

just a quick update. after running my first tank of fuel after changing to Amsoil, I have picked up 1 mpg and have hit my highest mpg on a tank of fuel yet. Came in at 19.28 mpg average which is my best yet. This is out of a 2014 silverado crew cab 4X4 with a 6.5" bed, 5.3 engine, and 3.43 gears, and average between 65 - 75 mph interestate driving back and forth to work.

Last edited:
Sorry but meaningless. Glad you like the oil.

just a quick update. after running my first tank of fuel after changing to Amsoil, I have picked up 1 mpg and have hit my highest mpg on a tank of fuel yet. Came in at 19.28 mpg average which is my best yet. This is out of a 2014 silverado crew cab 4X4 with a 6.5" bed, 5.3 engine, and 3.43 gears, and average between 65 - 75 mph interestate driving back and forth to work.

I agree there is no way you can attribute that change to the oil. Gasoline energy density can vary 4% even at the same gas station. Then add in weather and driving habits and you are in the noise. It is virtually impossible to attribute any single change to an MPG value when you are running in the real world, besides the fact that it is just a change of brand.

Anyway what are you running as fuel, and what are you comparing against? I looked back at your posts and you seem to be running a mix of E-85 and other fuels.

I always use Phillips 66 regular 87 octane except when I use Motomarts e85 on every 4th tank. I drive it back and forth to work on the interstate 5 days a week on a 65 mile round trip, with the occasional running around after work or on the weekend errands. So far I've used 433.893 gallons of fuel since the truck was bought.

unfortunently my amsoil analysis has been pushed back quite a bit. I had about 6 grand on the Amsoil when I took my truck in to the dealer for warranty work this weekend. Well the technician thought I was also getting an oil change so he changed the oil. Out went the Amsoil and in went A/C Delco. No use wasting new oil so I'm going to run the A/C Delco oil out to my oil change interval, drain and refill...again...with Amsoil.

unfortunently my amsoil analysis has been pushed back quite a bit. I had about 6 grand on the Amsoil when I took my truck in to the dealer for warranty work this weekend. Well the technician thought I was also getting an oil change so he changed the oil. Out went the Amsoil and in went A/C Delco. No use wasting new oil so I'm going to run the A/C Delco oil out to my oil change interval, drain and refill...again...with Amsoil.

This is why I purchase these (G38): http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/clothing-and-merchandise/decals/dipstick-tags/?GroupID=526

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
This is why I purchase these (G38): http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/clothing-and-merchandise/decals/dipstick-tags/?GroupID=526

Neat! But if someone goes for the drain plug first without looking at the dipstick, then it's of no help.
smile.gif

You Amsoil fanboys treat Dexos as if it was a brand of oil. If it were, you would be correct in your distorted interpretation of MM.

Now, according to MM, if Dexos was the GM in house brand name, and NOT a specification, then YES, they would have to provide the oil. But NOTHING in the owner's manual says you MUST use Mobil 1 Dexos oil, or Pennzoil Dexos 1 oil...

Get it?

Now, Nissan is getting awfully close to that in their GT-R OM.

How are SRT vehicle owner's manual. Do they say Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W40 ONLY?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Seriously, DOES the Magnusson Moss Act protect consumers at all with regard to warranty requirements like Dexos?

Amsoil's official stance on this is on their website:

Quote:
How does using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil affect new vehicle warranties?

Answer: Using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil has no affect on vehicle warranties. A federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Act (1975) prevents original equipment manufacturers from putting conditions on vehicle warranties attached to any product or service identified by brand, trade or corporate name, unless the manufacturer provides that product or service free of charge. This means consumers have the freedom to use aftermarket products of their choice without fear of losing the original limited or implied vehicle warranty. For additional information, contact the AMSOIL Technical Department at (715) 399-TECH (8324) or [email protected].

But to me, the above doesn't really answer the question. Notice the part I underlined. Is a manufacturer oil specification (such as dexos1) considered a product or service? To me, it's not. It's a specification detailing what the product must be like, just like you have specifications for tires, airbags, seat belts, headlights, etc.

I also don't agree with their interpretation that "consumers have the freedom to use aftermarket products of their choice without fear of losing the original limited or implied vehicle warranty," but I am not a lawyer, so this is just my opinion. My understanding of MM was that yes, you can use aftermarket products, but those products must still adhere to the OEM requirements/specifications. So back to that 1% SA limit that the other poster noted above....
smile.gif

Yes, I know, that is why I am questioning this. Does this mean GM should have to cover the cost of oil changes if Dexos is required for warranty? That is what I understand from the M.M. Act.

Yeah, Amsoil, if their product is that good, could open up whole new markets for themselves by REALLY competing with ExxonMobil, SOPUS, etc. Could you imagine if you were able to get into dealer service bays with your Dexos 1 oils? Ka-ching, Ka-ching...

Instead, Amsoil would rather throw a fit, stomp their feet, and play the non-conformist game.
confused2.gif

And this post is from a former Amsoil fanboy.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
I wish Amsoil would just take the OE line to a DEXOS1 approval, then a whole new market opens to it's dealers and those GM customers that like to try Amsoil would be well served as well.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon.

JMHO

Dealers only get paid on APPROVED warranty work. They either have to get a representative from corporate to approve the work beforehand, or pony up the parts and labor first then put in a claim with the OEM. And in something as expensive as an engine rebuild, they would pursue the former rather than the latter. So, if you are within warranty, and your receipts show Amsoil every 10k, and that oil is not Dexos approved,

standard.jpg

WHoooooa horsey. Have we forgotten the business aspect? Dealerships don't make money by denying warranties and ticking off car owners. I would argue that customer "A" comes in: Suspected spun Main Bearing. The engine is taken apart, nice and clean, no sludge, oil was full, no apparent neglect. Warranty honored...no questions. (Remember, dealerships get paid for warranty work)

Customer "B" same diagnosis, Engine full of sludge, 1.5 qt low on oil..There may be some questions about maintenance schedules.

Dealerships make money on warranty work. Good warranty work produces returning car buyers. With all except the obvious , I don't think using a non DEXOS approved oil is going to create a warranty issue unless you are a customer "B" and don't maintain your vehicle. And there are plenty of good oils out there that don't carry the DEXOS1 Logo. An example would be Kendall GT-1 FS 5w-30. It clearly has 1.02 SA on PDS. Kendall has marketed a separate DEXOS1 with almost identical specs..w/o titanium, but with .92% SA So would the version with Titanium be a lesser quality oil or a warranty issue??? I doubt it.

Car dealerships vary in truthfulness. Some are great, while others will try to scare the (OOPS) out of you to get you to use their services and products exclusively.

You need to do what feels comfortable for you and allows you to sleep well.

Regardless of what your choice of oil, follow a reasonable change schedule and call it a day.

JMHO

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Yeah, Amsoil, if their product is that good, could open up whole new markets for themselves by REALLY competing with ExxonMobil, SOPUS, etc.

Amsoil does not want to compete with these companies. That is their whole strategy. They have their niche and they're sticking to it. Nothing wrong with this approach.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Yeah, Amsoil, if their product is that good, could open up whole new markets for themselves by REALLY competing with ExxonMobil, SOPUS, etc.

Amsoil does not want to compete with these companies. That is their whole strategy. They have their niche and they're sticking to it. Nothing wrong with this approach.

Not being competitive is the WORST APPROACH you can apply to any business model. I would be very surprised if Amsoil carried on another ten years. Mail order days are gone. Time to get competitive or get out.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Not being competitive is the WORST APPROACH you can apply to any business model. I would be very surprised if Amsoil carried on another ten years. Mail order days are gone. Time to get competitive or get out.

Trying to take companies like XOM head on would be pretty stupid, IMO. There are many successful businesses out there built by being a niche player.

Dealers only get paid on APPROVED warranty work. They either have to get a representative from corporate to approve the work beforehand, or pony up the parts and labor first then put in a claim with the OEM. And in something as expensive as an engine rebuild, they would pursue the former rather than the latter. So, if you are within warranty, and your receipts show Amsoil every 10k, and that oil is not Dexos approved,

standard.jpg

WHoooooa horsey. Have we forgotten the business aspect? Dealerships don't make money by denying warranties and ticking off car owners. I would argue that customer "A" comes in: Suspected spun Main Bearing. The engine is taken apart, nice and clean, no sludge, oil was full, no apparent neglect. Warranty honored...no questions. (Remember, dealerships get paid for warranty work)

Customer "B" same diagnosis, Engine full of sludge, 1.5 qt low on oil..There may be some questions about maintenance schedules.

Dealerships make money on warranty work. Good warranty work produces returning car buyers. With all except the obvious , I don't think using a non DEXOS approved oil is going to create a warranty issue unless you are a customer "B" and don't maintain your vehicle. And there are plenty of good oils out there that don't carry the DEXOS1 Logo. An example would be Kendall GT-1 FS 5w-30. It clearly has 1.02 SA on PDS. Kendall has marketed a separate DEXOS1 with almost identical specs..w/o titanium, but with .92% SA So would the version with Titanium be a lesser quality oil or a warranty issue??? I doubt it.

Car dealerships vary in truthfulness. Some are great, while others will try to scare the (OOPS) out of you to get you to use their services and products exclusively.

You need to do what feels comfortable for you and allows you to sleep well.

Regardless of what your choice of oil, follow a reasonable change schedule and call it a day.

JMHO

Wrong, they have to prove it was oil related. We have gone over this many times.

jk_636 Not being competitive is the WORST APPROACH you can apply to any business model. I would be very surprised if Amsoil carried on another ten years. Mail order days are gone. Time to get competitive or get out. [/quote said:
What aspect of competitiveness are you referring to?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back