No Mo Kendall GT-1 Around Heeya

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more Kendall GT-1 around here. Autozone appears to have dropped it. Suppose I'll fall back to the more expensive but essentially similar Motorcraft stuff. Unless I can find some Trop Artic (also similar). Rural King or Tractor Supply might carry Trop, will have to check. Dang it, Kendall GT-1 was cheap and good.

Starting next year firestone is ending its relationship with con-phillips. They worked out a deal with pennzoil. They also recently switched from safety-kleen to Peak for its coolant/anti-freeze. Dont ask me how I know...

Check your local Chevron distributors. They carry a lot of other brands as well. Several of them in my area stock quite a variety of Kendall and Motorcraft lubricants at surprising prices. Minimal size is 12 qt boxes though.

That's too bad, and Kendall GT-1 just got its Dexos approval.

I've got two cases waiting to be used, so that'll hold me over for about two years. After that, I hope my local distributor is still carrying them so I can get a couple more cases.

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Petroleum Service Company mail order for Kendall

I keep saying it whenever someone mentions PSC for purchasing Kendall. If you mess around with the website, you'll find that the best price per quart is if you buy two cases because the shipping per case is the lowest that way. Also, as of a couple months ago the coupon code COMEBACK10 was giving 10% off your order (not including shipping). For people who live in the north east it makes it a decent deal on a quality oil.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Goes with the rumors I heard about CP phasing out Kendall...

What is CP ? Edit: Conoco-Phillips of course, sorry. If they do that, maybe they will just put new Trop-Artic labels on the GT-1 formula. Kendall is an old name, don't want it to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sicko
That's too bad, and Kendall GT-1 just got its Dexos approval.

I've got two cases waiting to be used, so that'll hold me over for about two years. After that, I hope my local distributor is still carrying them so I can get a couple more cases.

Kendall GT-1 dexos1 has been a separately labelled product for a few months.
http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/docu...Sw%20826640.pdf
They only have to pay GM ransom royalties on each labelled dexos1 bottles.
Noticed something funny about Kendall GT-1 dexos1: No titanium listed for it. It does seem to be full synthetic since HTO-06 and 4718M is listed, both indicate full synthetic performance.
The dexos1 official list does have the synthetic blend version of GT-1 5w-30 as dexos1. http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands and the fuly syn GT-1 0w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
No more Kendall GT-1 around here. Autozone appears to have dropped it. Suppose I'll fall back to the more expensive but essentially similar Motorcraft stuff. Unless I can find some Trop Artic (also similar). Rural King or Tractor Supply might carry Trop, will have to check. Dang it, Kendall GT-1 was cheap and good.

Rural King does not carry any Phillips 66 engine oils.

What is CP ? Edit: Conoco-Phillips of course, sorry. If they do that, maybe they will just put new Trop-Artic labels on the GT-1 formula. Kendall is an old name, don't want it to go.

I've spent some time in the past looking at PDS's on the Conoco-Phillips site, and have noticed that the specs between Kendall, Union 76, and Phillips TropArctic brands are identical.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I've spent some time in the past looking at PDS's on the Conoco-Phillips site, and have noticed that the specs between Kendall, Union 76, and Phillips TropArctic brands are identical.

Comes down to marketing strategies. Similar to the known situation with Shell owning the "old name" brands like Quaker, Pennzoil, and their own label Shell oils. Maybe they could run the same oil in all those labelled bottles. Might as well keep the labels different, it doesn't cost much to make the brands appear different like a mirage.

Yes, sadly enough, they do not have (or did not use) the multi-million buck marketing campaigns that the majors do for their products.
Probably (ironically) why it carried a bargain price for a high quality product, but also why it is going away.
frown.gif

The only place I have ever seen GT-1 was a hardware store called Valu in Buffalo, NY.

Trop arctic is at some stores down in the south, but not many.

Motorcraft is at every walmart I have ever seen, but now they get a premium price for it.

Hate to say it, but if you're not in Walmart, you're not in the big leagues of high volume oil sales. Good for us though, I mean we can get premium synthetics for less at Wally World.

They sell TropArtic here in MO at Orscheln farm supply stores and they have it on sale for $1.99 a quart periodically. I just bought three cases recently.

Wayne

Wow, That's a major change. Firestone has been using Kendall exclusively for over 40 years! I wonder what made them switch. I hate to have another foreign company (Royal Dutch Shell) swoop in and knock a good, solid American Company like CP out of the saddle.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Wow, That's a major change. Firestone has been using Kendall exclusively for over 40 years! I wonder what made them switch.

My guess is: $$$. Some other company offered them a better deal, or some how convinced them that using their product will entice more customers to go to their shops.

I really hope CP doesn't get rid of the Kendall name. I hope they keep it and continue to make a high quality product under it. The name has history to it, and I don't like seeing that go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back