Anyone Notice Synthetic Makes Some Engines Louder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms Elantra was very noisy with a full synthetic. I was looking forward to eventually giving PYB a run, but I bought a bunch of Synblend at AZ and she recently traded it in so I never got the chance to try it out..

(I sold the 5w30 AZ Synblend stash on CL too.
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My moms Elantra was very noisy with a full synthetic.

Did you leave it in for the whole OCI ?

My car was noisy upon start up with RP.. Never heard that much noise in the valve train before or since.. I think it literally drained totally off the upper portion of the motor causing this deal. It did go away in a short period of time but I was not a fan of that. All other full syns never noticed this issue.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
My moms Elantra was very noisy with a full synthetic.

Did you leave it in for the whole OCI ?

Yes sir.

I've noticed it and is one reason I quit using Mobil 1 years ago because it made the engines in two of our fairly new vehicles a lot louder than it was before. I eventually switched back to a conventional oil and the engines sounded normal again.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: wtd
I've noticed it and is one reason I quit using Mobil 1 years ago because it made the engines in two of our fairly new vehicles a lot louder than it was before.

Which viscosity grade was that?

Isn't increased noise a result of increased friction?

I have 'noticed' a difference when using QSGB. It seemed quieter but I'm not sure if it was just placebo...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Isn't increased noise a result of increased friction?

I have 'noticed' a difference when using QSGB. It seemed quieter but I'm not sure if it was just placebo...

Quaker State apparently uses boron and boron has shown to quiet engine noise.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've noticed it and is one reason I quit using Mobil 1 years ago because it made the engines in two of our fairly new vehicles a lot louder than it was before.

Which viscosity grade was that?

Both 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Wayne

Both 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Wayne

That's exactly what I suspected. If you run a Google Custom Search, you'll see that thousands of people have had the same issue with those two M1 viscosity grades, 5W-30 and 10W-30.

Look here: Mobil 1 Noise

I can't say that I've ever really noticed this.
What I have noticed is how much smoother and quieter any engine seems going up one grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back