2001 Camaro 3800 series 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gentlemen! Most everyone is familiar with the notorious GM intake manifold issue's with their V-6 engines. My question is, do the rear wheel drive model's suffer from this problem also? Looking at a very nice '01 Camaro that has never really been touched repair wise. It has 123,000 miles on it. The local Chevrolet dealer service adviser stated that the rear wheel drive model's didn't suffer from this issue. I'm finding that really hard to believe. What is your experience? Another minor concern is the automatic transmission. I'm thinking it has the 4L60E? To the best of my knowledge they can be somewhat troublesome. This car appears to be well maintained but the dealer really could not supply any documentation to support that. Liking the car! Have always liked the 4th generation "F" body, just don't feel like buying a money pit.

Yes, they suffer from the problem. We have a 2001 and a 2002. Both V6's and both bought brand new. Both of them had their intake gaskets go bad around 11 years of age. The intake is aluminum so it doesnt crack and break like the FWD versions but yes, the gaskets are the same in FWD and RWD and will go bad. Both of our camaros are automatics as well. They have the 4L65 trans. Never had any issues with the tranmissions in either. Both of our cars have been great cars, just beware that you may need to do the intake gaskets if they havent been done already.

Dealerships..... they will tell you anything....

The gaskets arent hard to change but there isnt much room in the back of the engine compartment. Its doable though.

I wouldn't believe the dealer either. The intake gasket can leak whether it's a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.

As far as the tranny goes, it just depends. They are not the strongest in the world but if they haven't been beat on and the fluid was changed on a regular basis they can last awhile.

I have 128,000 original miles on the 4L60E in my 98 chevy 4x4 truck and it still shifts fine but does have some pump whine when it's cold out.

A friend at work has the same year truck as mine and has 350,000 miles on his truck and he has had it since 76,000 miles with the same 4L60E in it.

Any used car can be a [censored] shoot.

Wayne

Last edited:
Common things that go bad on these cars are the power window motors. Also the rear ends can develope a clunk at low speeds. If the car has been kept nice and not abused just expect the usual wear items to need replacing.

The only things besides maintenace items that we've had to fix are:

2001- intake gasksts, rear end bearing

2002- intake gaskets, 1 power window motor, 1 speaker

I've heard people complain about the GM's 4L60E and 4L65E transmissions but I've personally never had an issue with any transmission ever except for the 200r4. We've had 4 cars with the 200r4 and they all started slipping around 100,000 miles.

I stand corrected, the camaros came with the 4L60E. We drive them hard at times but never abuse them. The 3800 V6 + 4L60E + 3.42 axle = red light excitment.

The 3.42 was an option. Maybe the car you're looking at has it.

One of the most common drivetrains in Oz, the 3.8 4L60E.

Intake manifolds, oil leaks from plastic rocker covers (just installed alloys on my L67, and got $100 on ebay for the plastic ones).

After that, bulletproof.

Plan on replacing the gaskets if it hasn't been done already.

If you look between the heads and the intake manifold, the edge of the LIM gasket should be sticking out. If it's silver, that means it's the updated aluminum gasket that does not have issues. If it's black, it's either the original gasket or a replacement Fel-Pro. Both of those have issues, and should be replaced.

I had a 2001 Impala with the 3.8 liter engine. GM recalled gasket, fixed it for free.

This was worse car I ever owned, over $6000 in repairs, including:

Transmission went, cam and lifters (under warrenty), radiator fan motor, window motor, many suspension pieces, fuel pump, emissions components,

The RWD 3800 has aluminum valve covers so they dont warp and leak like the FWD does.

Good point. I'm not sure about the older Fel-Pro gaskets but the newer ones have a tab that is black and blue. At least as of the end of 2013 they did.

Had a '96 with the 3800. Intake and valve cover gaskets were replaced in '09. Slight oil pan leak around the same time but left it alone since its a big job to replace. Otherwise great smooth running car. IMO the 4th gen Camaro was much cruder than the late model ones but much more comfortable and with way better outward visibility.

Any GM recalls on the '01 Camaro V6 intake man. gaskets? Or TSBs? That might tell the story. Lots of miles and years now. Even check Consumer Reports archives with thousands of respondents over the years for that year/model/engine type.

Last edited:
There definitely weren't any recalls for the gaskets. Not even sure if there was a TSB for it. There was a class action lawsuit which reimbursed your out of pocket costs but i think the repair had to be done within the first 7 years of the vehicles life. So neither one of mine qualified. Just to avoid hassle later one, replace them when you can. That 3800 will run a looooooong time after that.

Hello, Great thread! I've just been asked to sell a 2001 Camaro glass top "convertible" with the 3.8 and 4L60E transmission. This one has the 3.08 rear end. The car has 90,000 miles.

I never knew there were plastic vs aluminum valve covers. I plan on cleaning the engine bay and doing "jack repairs" on the splitting interior cloth headliner with cloth tape.

The armrest is broken and the ash tray has sunk into the center console.

If I can get this baby clean, what do you think the price range to sell would be? Kira

I believe we have the 4L60E (deep pan) in our 2004 Tahoe. No issues with it 140K---if it's durable enough for a 5000 + lbs truck, it should be more than strong enough for the torque of the V6

How much are they asking, I bet it will be close to LS1 territory. If that is the case find a nice clean LS1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back