Why I will always change my own oil!!!!

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: jacky
i have
never changed my own oil or a flat tire and never will, i dont get my hands dirty for any reason
i have people that does all that
and unless you have some type of certifacation on your wall i would not allow you to change my oil

I'm going to make a wager that whomever does the oil changes at Walmart, a quick lube, or the dealership has no certifications whatsoever, and probably substantially less knowledge than the average BITOGer.

They are certified for sure. Certified idiots.

You should have people write your posts too. Your grammar and punctuation are terrible.

i have
never changed my own oil or a flat tire and never will, i dont get my hands dirty for any reason
and unless you have some type of certifacation on your wall i would not allow you to change my oil

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

you can still use quick lubes, but be sure to check over their work! even date the oil filter can and check the dipstick if it has oil in it before you leave their parking lot.

By the time you drive to and from the quick lube and check over their work, you could have changed your own oil correctly in the first place.

i have

So if you blew a tire in some remote area and AAA said it would be 2 hours til they had someone out to you... Would you sit in your car for 2 hours or take the 10 minutes to change your tire? You can keep disposable gloves in your car if getting your hands dirty is an issue.

Last edited:
I've always changed my oil since i could drive.

and now i pretty much change the oil on all the family vehicles.

its just something i enjoy and I'd rather do it then let them take them someplace else.

i do pretty much all the maintenance on family vehicles and sometimes for friends.

helped a friend fix his jeep that probably would have cost him 700 to 800 bucks to fix instead it was only 160.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
i have

Are you serious man? That's depressing as [censored]. I cannot conceive thinking that way. Changing oil is very therapeutic for me.

Same here,I find changing oil is very therapeutic. I'll have a coldie or two,give the entire car's underbelly a good exam,and even clean it all off very thoroughly. Plus it's just plain fun
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
I love this topic as i think a lot of people think this cant possible happen to them. Diy oil changes are a must( unless you are unable to physically do them) due to all the reasons listed above. These guys are right, the low man on the pole does the oil changes at min wage im sure. Ive heard many horror stories but my all time favorite was the time my dad took his buick in for an oil change( 4 1/2 qt change mind you) at the dealer. Came home, then called me asking me to come over as his car wasn't running right. We drained the oil out and put it in 1qt bottles. 9qts!!!!!! the guy probably walked away talking to someone and refilled it again. UNREAL

This actually isn't that crazy uncommon. That is why(where I used to work) I preached communication communication communication. Every step of an oil change should be acknowledged by the person under the car and vise versa. The same exact thing goes with forgetting to fill. And I don't know how places like this get away with not making one final dipstick check, ALWAYS make a final check after all the work is done to make sure its at the correct fill line on the dipstick. I never let a vehicle leave without checking te dipstick before it rolled out. And that isn't to say there was never a mistake made, it was just corrected before anything could be damaged or in the customer's hands.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
i have

Are you serious man? That's depressing as [censored]. I cannot conceive thinking that way. Changing oil is very therapeutic for me.

Same here,I find changing oil is very therapeutic. I'll have a coldie or two,give the entire car's underbelly a good exam,and even clean it all off very thoroughly. Plus it's just plain fun
smile.gif

I feel the same as you two.

I hope you realize how poorly trained some of these "certification" people are. I think you are more worried about the business behind that wall that has money to fix the mistake rather than the person having a certification. But then again with your attitude towards changing your own oil who knows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rustypigeon
i have

So if you blew a tire in some remote area and AAA said it would be 2 hours til they had someone out to you... Would you sit in your car for 2 hours or take the 10 minutes to change your tire? You can keep disposable gloves in your car if getting your hands dirty is an issue.

Mercedes spare tire comes with a pair of white gloves. lol

Originally Posted By: Shellguy
I love this topic as i think a lot of people think this cant possible happen to them. Diy oil changes are a must( unless you are unable to physically do them) due to all the reasons listed above. These guys are right, the low man on the pole does the oil changes at min wage im sure. Ive heard many horror stories but my all time favorite was the time my dad took his buick in for an oil change( 4 1/2 qt change mind you) at the dealer. Came home, then called me asking me to come over as his car wasn't running right. We drained the oil out and put it in 1qt bottles. 9qts!!!!!! the guy probably walked away talking to someone and refilled it again. UNREAL

a service center that i worked at for a few years required a second technician to signoff/initial that the oil level was checked and filled to the proper level before the car left the shop.

some places will do anything to avoid instances like what you described.

they also had cameras in the shop

Last edited:
Plenty of posts here indicate 'bonehead' moves are not exclusively a quick lube occurance. About 10 years ago, there was a thread to document 'worst mistakes' BITOGrs made during auto maintenance.

A guy removed his drive shaft to repair a U-joint, not chocking the real wheels, and his truck promptly rolled away and over his tool box. I bet he didn't see that one coming.

If a quicklube place is anything like where I work, training is a unnecessary expense in the eyes of mgmt.

Last edited:
I once watched an employee at a tire shop put probably 100+ lbs of torque (or more...) into an oil pan drain plug... not my car, thankfully. I asked him why it needed to be so tight...?

He looked at me in apparent disgust (you know, stupid customer in the work area...) and said... SO IT DOESN'T FALL OFF...

I told him to maybe use his impact wrench next time, just to make sure...! Then I felt bad... because he probably did.

Originally Posted By: geeman789
I told him to maybe use his impact wrench next time, just to make sure...! Then I felt bad... because he probably did.

crackmeup2.gif

I once watched an employee at a tire shop put probably 100+ lbs of torque (or more...) into an oil pan drain plug... not my car, thankfully. I asked him why it needed to be so tight...?

He looked at me in apparent disgust (you know, stupid customer in the work area...) and said... SO IT DOESN'T FALL OFF...

I am not surprised, high school kids and cheap labor

Haha that must've been priceless!
crackmeup2.gif

I started to do my own oil change because the place I went to, the kid techs revved the [censored] out of my car as they pulled it out of the service bay. I pulled the manager aside and told him they need to respect their customer's cars as I didn't even do that to my own car.

Started to do my own oil changes and haven't looked back since.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

you can still use quick lubes, but be sure to check over their work! even date the oil filter can and check the dipstick if it has oil in it before you leave their parking lot.

How do you verify that they put in the oil brand, type, and viscosity you requested? What about oil plug torque? Sure, if they under torqued, that's easy to detect and fix. But what if they over torqued? How do you know they let the oil drain properly? I've seen at least one video posted here at BITOG, showing a tech putting the plug back in when the oil was still a stream. And what about using the opportunity to do an inspection under the car and under the hood? Do you think a grease monkey making the lowest wage in the shop cares to tell you that the tranny pan is starting to have red streaks on it, indicating that it is leaking?

i don't understand how loob techs can be so stupid. Such an easy job yet they mess it up. Literally takes more work and effort to overdo something not less.

You drug up a six year old thread to complain about “loob” techs being stupid?
Didnt even see the date. Just popped up as recent. Well that's weird. I notice the time is odd on this forum. I'll post something within an hour then it'll say I posted it as much as 3 days ago. Usually it says just yesterday at random times like 3am when it was today at 6pm.

Back