Car for son--Test drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the story with the guy selling it? Was this his car? If so why did he stop driving it and now all of a sudden has to sell it fast?

Or did he pick this car up for $800 because it has a bad tranny and is now flipping it for $2300?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tranny valve body/ solenoid issue. Offer $500. He won't take it, he's waiting for a sap to go for a gentle test drive.

Bingo, or just pass altogether. OP there's an Arse for every seat, let someone buy the car. But if he takes $500 it might setup nice for a quick flip.

My friends dad died and the had a 88k 04 Camry. Said it had a bad tranny and the were going to junk it for 500. I offered 2200 and bought it right then.
Put tranny fluid in and drove it 200 trouble free miles. Could not afford to keep it them. Sold it to a dealer for 5700 a week later. Needed 3 panels of paint... (I went and gave the kids
back 1700-Karma)
I keep hoping I will find something like that is the issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
What's the story with the guy selling it? Was this his car? If so why did he stop driving it and now all of a sudden has to sell it fast?

Or did he pick this car up for $800 because it has a bad tranny and is now flipping it for $2300?

Great point..seemed like a good guy. Car fax shows he had the car for 2 years as the second owner...but he could be a 3rd (unrecorded)
The complex was jammed. 2 car parking. Said and I saw a new car, this car now being number 3. Really it all means zero (what he says)

Originally Posted By: Throt
I personally don't like Grand Prix's. While the 3800 may be a bullet proof engine the rest of the car is, in my opinion, very un-refined.

How refined a car does a teenager need to get back and forth to school and practice?

The car needs to be scanned & properly diagnosed.

A misfiring engine will cause this issue at WOT, RPM & MPH criteria has to met for the PCM to command a up-shift.

When the engine starts misfiring bad enough, Your MPH will start to drop & the trans will not shift.

If the PCM is commanding a shift, Transmission trouble is likely.

If the PCM is not commanding a shift, Most likely culprit is engine tune related.

You cannot road test a transmission with a poor running engine, That is a fact.

I need to sell it fast is a red flag. He is pushing you into a quick decision without thought.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
The car needs to be scanned & properly diagnosed.

A misfiring engine will cause this issue at WOT, RPM & MPH criteria has to met for the PCM to command a up-shift.

When the engine starts misfiring bad enough, Your MPH will start to drop & the trans will not shift.

If the PCM is commanding a shift, Transmission trouble is likely.

If the PCM is not commanding a shift, Most likely culprit is engine tune related.

You cannot road test a transmission with a poor running engine, That is a fact.

Thanks!
We spoke of (my friend and I) a coil being bad and causing that.
I would like to deduct for a transmission and fix a coil.

I'd pass. Based on the stated issues it's a can of worms. He knows it has an issue and wants to sell it so it's someone else's problem.

Unless you can pick it up for scrap value and have time/money to diagnose it, that is.

Had a sunfire with the "good 2.2L ecotech" engine.

Sure that was fine but the rest of the car was junk.

I have never replaced more stupid stuff on a car in my whole life. We did wiper motors, window motors, electrical stuff, then the sunroof, then the radiator.

The motor kept running fine though.

Buy the kid a Honda or a Toyota , and he will have to lift the hood less on it.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

I have never replaced more stupid stuff on a car in my whole life. We did wiper motors, window motors, electrical stuff, then the sunroof, then the radiator.

The only Honda's or Toyota's I see that we can get for 2000 bucks are nasty and have 200,000 miles on them. I don't see how they can be all that good to be saving over a 80,000 miles Buick.

Everyday I see Toyota 120k, needs an engine. Honda 114k needs a transmission...I really wonder if for the same money I bought 1 150,000 mile Toyota or 2 80,000 mile Buicks.

Last edited:
I'm with you...everyone online says buy a Honda or Toyota and that drives used car prices through the roof for garbage. No way a 200k Toyota/Honda is going to be better than a 80k or 120k Buick that you can pick up for half the price.

Originally Posted By: clarkflower
Originally Posted By: JustinH

The only Honda's or Toyota's I see that we can get for 2000 bucks are nasty and have 200,000 miles on them. I don't see how they can be all that good to be saving over a 80,000 miles Buick.

Everyday I see Toyota 120k, needs an engine. Honda 114k needs a transmission...I really wonder if for the same money I bought 1 150,000 mile Toyota or 2 80,000 mile Buicks.

My wife's '10 Corolla replaced a '96 Bonneville 3.8L/4T60E, The GM was hands down a better vehicle. I personally hate our Toyota!

i have a plymouth with 107k and i would gladly trade for a toyota with 200k
my opinion toyota and honda are the best ever
but with honda i would not not buy one a young person has owned and did fast and furious type mods on it

I'm with you...everyone online says buy a Honda or Toyota and that drives used car prices through the roof for garbage. No way a 200k Toyota/Honda is going to be better than a 80k or 120k Buick that you can pick up for half the price.

My Toyota Corolla has 225,000 miles on it. No way I'd trade it for a Buick with 100k miles. Now, 2 Buicks and you've got yourself a deal.

I think GM cars are garbage but we live in a free market economy. I'll stick with Honda or Toyota and you can buy GM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

My Toyota Corolla has 225,000 miles on it. No way I'd trade it for a Buick with 100k miles. Now, 2 Buicks and you've got yourself a deal.

I think GM cars are garbage but we live in a free market economy. I'll stick with Honda or Toyota and you can buy GM.

Keep thinking that, keeps my purchase price of GM cars down. Please shout it from the rooftops!

also we are talking about a car for an 18 year old
have you ever heard a young person say i wish i had a buick they look cool?

Originally Posted By: jacky
also we are talking about a car for an 18 year old
have you ever heard a young person say i wish i had a buick they look cool?

smile.gif
He is a good kid. Cares about $ and reliability and he knows what he can get for 3,000.
He knows he can't afford to pay for a BMW headgasket. That his car would become a flower pot

Originally Posted By: jacky
the type of car is good but that is a serious problem
never buy a car from a individual always buy from a dealer

I don't know if I fully agree with that. I can't count how many times I know of people (heck even myself!) who traded in a car with issues just to dump it for a new car. True - the dealer probably will have a short warranty but otherwise buying a used car is a gamble no matter where purchased.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Keep thinking that, keeps my purchase price of GM cars down. Please shout it from the rooftops!

^^^agree!! For every 200k+ mile toyota I can find the same Ford or GM. The days of Japan being top quality over US cars is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back