This will be an interesting UOA....

Status
Not open for further replies.
First a disclaimer. I'm not a big fan of UOAs because IMO they just dont tell you the whole story. But I had to do one due to the severity of this OCI.

Since people love to hate on Royal Purple I decided to do an extreme OCI with RP.

Changed the oil last April to RP 5w40(2012 Audi A6). Within that year I will have put 12,000 miles on the oil.

Then the car was tuned. First came the APR Stage I ECU tune that did little for the HP bump. Then came custom exhaust and intake that did much better at increasing HP. Then came the APR Stage II pulley upgrade which transformed this car into beast mode. The car was dyno'd 4 times, starting with stock and after each upgrade. The car now puts out close to 470 HPs to the wheels.

During the summer the car saw 12 1/4 passes at the Seekonk Speedway and won 10 of those passes. Losses were to a modded M3 and stock CTS-V. The car runs a sub 12.5 and is dubbed "the quick kahuna" at the speedway.

The oil will be changed in a couple of weeks when it reaches 12K miles and the car will have 27K miles. Needless to say it'll be an interesting read. We will see how well the oil held up both viscosity wise and TBN wise.

Last edited:
Which RP? HMS? HPS?

I only feel the ILSAC gf5 CERT OIL in 5w30 and 5w20 is over priced for its formulation.

It appears that they only make a 5w40 in ACEA A3/ API SL service category.

Interesting to see if this A3 oil has "synerlec" where this compound would show as very high Sulfur PPM #.

Too bad it wasn't the second run of RP in the car. It has been said many times here it is best to UOA an oil after it has been in use for more than one OCI. The results are more accurate that way.

The report should be interesting though.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Which RP? HMS? HPS

Arco the 5w40 doesn't have the ZDDP restrictions as the other grades do so this viscosity doesn't come in HPS or HMX. It also contains Synerlec.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Too bad it wasn't the second run of RP in the car. It has been said many times here it is best to UOA an oil after it has been in use for more than one OCI. The results are more accurate that way.

The report should be interesting though.

Agreed. Royal Purple 5w40 will be going in it again and will be raced in the summer as well. The new OCI will see similar situations minus the dyno runs. If the TBN in this UOA is not depleted I'll run it to 12K miles again and sample it again for a trend.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Warranty? What warranty !

Engine warranty went out the window once I got the APR tune so going 2000 miles over the Audi recommended OCI doesn't change anything.

It might be better to wait until the UOA is available rather than a POST saying you are planning on a UOA. Since no one knows what the UOA will say, who can provide any beneficial responses?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
And the car is a?

"Changed the oil last April to RP 5w40(2012 Audi A6). Within that year I will have put 12,000 miles on the oil."

Had to hunt for it!
Ah! Thanks, it was a little hidden in there.

Originally Posted By: deven
During the summer the car saw 12 1/4 passes at the Seekonk Speedway and won 10 of those passes. Losses were to a modded M3 and stock CTS-V.

So you're saying all I have to do is buy a stock CTS-V off the dealer lot and it will beat your modified A6 ???
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

So you're saying all I have to do is buy a stock CTS-V off the dealer lot and it will beat your modified A6 ???
grin2.gif

Are you aware of what a CTS-V actually IS?

deven,

Since people love to hate on Royal Purple I decided to do an extreme OCI with RP.

Changed the oil last April to RP 5w40(2012 Audi A6). Within that year I will have put 12,000 miles on the oil.

What is so extreme in this OCI? Go live in Europe, buy a VW and service it every 2 years or 30'000 km - that is a usual OCI here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
deven,

What is so extreme in this OCI? Go live in Europe, buy a VW and service it every 2 years or 30'000 km - that is a usual OCI here.

No doubt it may not be extreme for Euro standards but its most definitively extreme for American standards. First not many run 12000 mile OCIs in the US and factor in the 4 dyno runs and 12 passes and to me that makes it extreme.

deven,

No doubt it may not be extreme for Euro standards but its most definitively extreme for American standards. First not many run 12000 mile OCIs in the US and factor in the 4 dyno runs and 12 passes and to me that makes it extreme.

How much top-off oil did you use? Makes a big difference in keeping acids down, which is mostly what degrades oil, along with how much you short trip it. Also, using a RP oil filter or Fram Ultra will keep particles down best.

Dyno or 1/4 mile sprints are done at high rpm for the most part, where hydrodynamic conditions exist, and Audi probably has a good oil cooler to exchange heat with the coolant system like BMWs do, or something like it. Heat can oxidize it faster of course, yet cooling should help quite a bit. Oil has to transit the hot ring area though.

Some variables are quite different, e.g. fuel of different composition: sulfur and alcohol content..

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
deven,

How much top-off oil did you use? Makes a big difference in keeping acids down, which is mostly what degrades oil,

1 quart of make up oil last added in September. Hasn't used any since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back