Custom foam organizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the military years ago. We did work on the flight line and in the planes. It was very important not leave tools on the line or in a plane. One way of preventing it was to have all tool boxes with foam cut outs. The bottom layer was solid yellow and the top layer (cut out as shown above) was black or blue so when a tool was missing it was very clear. We had to inventory the tools and sign off on them at each shift change to ensure that nothing was missing.

Made for a very clean looking toolbox.

Outlines and cutouts are great if you have a fairly static set of tools and/or inventory is an issue, as jstutz elaborated. You can get more pliers in a box by putting them on edge with a wire rack, but the video guy appears to be limited by a box with lots and lots of shallow drawers, so he's making the best use of what he has.

For me, I'm constantly buying tools, cramming them in, weeding out old tools, shuffling drawer locations for better space utilization and to optimize most vs least used grabbing distance. I do use socket and wrench organizers from Titan and Ernst, which helps with finding things fast and seeing if they're missing.

I'm not saying they're not cool, but I won't be making foam cutouts for my box. I do build custom trays for important tools. I made one for wood lathe tools, to keep them from getting dull. I'm thinking of making another for my 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" Sturtevant torque wrenches.

The most important thing is that you put some thought into what works best for you, try it, and be prepared to change if it is "cool" but non-optimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back