Jeep Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday my 2012 Grand Cherokee had trouble starting, so I Googled for probabilities. Before long I saw the recall announcement for 300,000+ Jeeps, so I took it to the dealer, explained the problem, suggested it might be the TIPM as mentioned in the recall.

Today I picked it up, and sure enough that is what it was. But they were billing me $150 labor, so I went to the service manager and explained. He called over the service writer and told him clearly that in the case of recalls, you bill everything to Chrysler and apologize to the customer for his inconvenience.

Originally Posted By: widman
Monday my 2012 Grand Cherokee had trouble starting, so I Googled for probabilities. Before long I saw the recall announcement for 300,000+ Jeeps, so I took it to the dealer, explained the problem, suggested it might be the TIPM as mentioned in the recall.

Today I picked it up, and sure enough that is what it was. But they were billing me $150 labor, so I went to the service manager and explained. He called over the service writer and told him clearly that in the case of recalls, you bill everything to Chrysler and apologize to the customer for his inconvenience.

wonder how often that billing "mistake" happens

Those TiPMs are nothing but trouble.One day,Chrysler wont support the older ones (started 2006?) and there will be a ton of unrepairable vehicles littering the countryside.Thank Daimler and their cheapo engineering.

We had our Wrangler in last month for a small leak from the radiator. Radiator was replaced under warranty, and they took care of the recall on the mirrors while they had it. No charge for anything, and we got a free loaner.

Their is a whole industry springing up to repair them, just like instrument clusters and ecm's.

Last edited:
IF you would have paid the bill, the dealership likely would have been doubly dishonest and billed Chrysler as well.

This dishonest practice occurs very regularly throughout the auto industry - billing the customer and manufacturer for the same repair.

interesting..... I wonder if this monstrosity unit could be the true culprit in my Brother's Dakota....

It's an '07 (4x4 Quad Cab, Auto, 4.7 HO V8), and a couple summers back, the tree he parks it under was struck by lightning. I gave it a cursory glance at first, it seemed ok, so he didn't have it looked at. He doesn't drive this truck much, maybe every 6 months or so,so when he did notice the weird symptoms showing up, it was too late to make an insurance claim.
main issues are thus:
in the gear selector readout (PRNDL)no matter what gear it's in, it appears to be in all of them.
2007-dodge-dakota-2wd-quad-cab-131-slt-instrument-cluster_100288424_m.jpg

basically this cluster, but on his, the box is lit up around all the letters all the time, not just the Currently Selected Gear.

the truck will also drain the battery within a 3 days-a week of sitting. so now he just disconnects the Battery when he parks it.

with a multimeter, we were able to find a sizeable parasitic Draw on one circuit, but... i forget which one.

He thinks the problem is a part(i don't know the name) that is down inside the transmission, and controls that readout on the dash...

though honestly he's now thinking of replacing the truck, bc on top of that issue, the well known vibration in that gen Dakota has come back. apparently there are temp fixes, but no permanent ones for this vibration.

That happened to me years ago with a Mazda. It would have made the dealer very happy to collect from me and Mazda both. It didn't happen. Was it just a mistake? You mean to tell me that the dealership employees don't know what is and what is not covered under their warranty. PLEASE!!!! They just hope the customer doesn't know. Do I trust dealerships?

Dealers know what they're doing with the double billing and if you call them on it, they just play dumb and only bill the manufacturer .... instead of YOU and the manufacturer.

Just like Dr's do. Some will double dip in order to gain profit at the risk of losing customers and their reputation. I once had an insurance claim that I paid the dealer for the repair. They told me the insurance would not cover it. Later I found out they paid it and the dealer gave me a very hard time refunding my money as if they did not know what I was talking about even though I had the proof.

I also had the experience of my 01 sable wagon having a problem when I bought it as the fuel line fell off. Previous owner replaced the fuel filter and busted the clip. 2 dealers out of town told me I needed a complete fuel line assembly ~$1,800 and it would be 6-8 weeks to get the fuel line. It was out of town so I went back home and the Ford Dealer in Johnstown, PA was great in telling me they could spread the line and put in a new clip for less than $100. What were the other 2 planning to do?

With things such as billing 'mistakes' they should even out over time as half in your favor and half for the business=not been my experience!

Beware. You will see used TIPM's all over the place online. I saw a mechanic friend of mine replace one on a Durango he got from eBay. It was bad from the word go. He got his money back, but lost a bunch of time.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
IF you would have paid the bill, the dealership likely would have been doubly dishonest and billed Chrysler as well.

This dishonest practice occurs very regularly throughout the auto industry - billing the customer and manufacturer for the same repair.

It happens a lot, and most of the time it is intentional. It's the nature of the beast. People who speak up and know get an apology, the people who don't know pay the bill. The dealership loves them!

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Dealers know what they're doing with the double billing and if you call them on it, they just play dumb and only bill the manufacturer .... instead of YOU and the manufacturer.

This. They arent as stupid as they look!

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Those TiPMs are nothing but trouble.One day,Chrysler wont support the older ones (started 2006?) and there will be a ton of unrepairable vehicles littering the countryside.Thank Daimler and their cheapo engineering.

Yup. That's going to deter me from buying a used Wrangler in a few years.

Had TIPM replaced twice on the 08 before it went away.

It could have been intentional, but I think I may be the only one in the country that knows about recalls, and maybe the first ever recall they have performed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back