96 Grand Marquis sounds like liquid in glovebox

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Grand Marquis sounds like there is liquid flowing in the glovebox. I suspect it is antifreeze in the heater core but wanted to ask. Happens mostly under acceleration at lower speeds.

Was the heater core ever replaced before?

I would flush the system with a 50/50 mix of distilled water to G-05 and throw in 3 of Bars or GM's cooling system tablets in there.

Sounds like air in the cooling system. My old Elantra made a rushing water noise behind the dashboard under acceleration. Turned out a leaking coolant hose introduced air into the system that also caused intermittent heat issues.

Have you recently opened up the cooling system for any servicing? Is the engine running hot and/or heating not toasty?

My 2000 Grand Marquis does the same thing when the coolant gets low...it has a small leak...probably the beginning of the infamous intake manifold failure, but so far it's been minor and too cold to work outside.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My old Nissan truck had the same sound once. The A/C drain tube was stopped up.
This ^.

Some cars make this sound when the A/C orifice tube or similar device near the glovebox area fails. If it does it without the A/C on, then that can probably be ruled out. If it ONLY does it with the A/C on, then it could be a possibility.

Any other symptoms? What setting is the HVAC usually on?

I would start by bleeding the cooling system and go from there. Also, if running the A/C, make sure the condensation is dripping out below the car. No puddle means you have blockage somewhere.

Has the car done this the entire time you have had it, or is it something new? We had an F-150 4.2 at work with like 300K miles that would do this all the time under hard acceleration, but the heat was always hot, A/C always cold, and the floor was always dry, so I never thought anything of it. Not my truck, not my problem.

Car has done it since I owned it 5 years ago at 82,000 miles. It seemed to get better or I got used to it. Not it is becoming more noticeable. Car has digital climate control so air could kick on anytime but it has been relatively cold mostly so not too likely that is it. Engine does take a while to heat up and does not seem to blow real hot air but it is not terribly cold either. I do smell a hint of coolant and have since I bought it. Car was wrecked before I bought it and they did a pretty good job repairing it.

I had a 2004 Impala 3.4 engine that would sound like that if the antifreeze was low. Bleed the air out of the system, check to see whether it is full enough and you should be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back