The smoothest most quiet engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some of the quietest engines known to man? Let's make a list.

No clickety clack. No tick tick. No buzzing. You shut the hood, you don't hear it, period.

Quiet and smooth from idle all the way up to 6000 RPM.

I would put out the Lexus V8 in the LS400 and LS430-but that's also due to the other portions of balancing in the design as well as the soundproofing. It spawned the commercial with the pyramid of glasses that put them on the map.

As well as many other lexus inline6 (especially the vaunted 2jz) due to the inherent engine balance.

Often the first time lexus owners may forget engine is on and accidentally crank it with the engine running.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
A Prius, pretty quiet especially when its on the battery. Dead silent, doesn't feel right.

Technically a "motor" though and not an "engine", unless you're a redneck mechanic who likes to use motor when you mean engine?

The quietest car should be the Ghost. I presume the V12 twin turbo is very smooth and quiet to begin with.

I've always liked the 2.5 liter BMW 6-cylinder inline engine. It's smooth and quiet.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: raytseng
I would put out the Lexus V8 in the LS400 and LS430-but that's also due to the other portions of balancing in the design. It spawned the commercial with the pyramid of glasses that put them on the map.

As well as many inline6 (especially the vaunted 2jz) due to the inherent engine balance.

Yeah, the engine in LS400 is 1 of the quietest V8 engine in the last 25 years.

The VW TDI
grin2.gif
just kidding of course.

I'd have to say my brother's 1996 Lexus ES300 which has the 3.0L V6 (same as Camry) is one quiet and smooth running engine.

Technically a "motor" though and not an "engine", unless you're a redneck mechanic who likes to use motor when you mean engine?

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/what%E2%80%99s-difference-between-motor-and-engine

"Today, the words are virtually synonymous."

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope

http://engineering.mit.edu/ask/what%E2%80%99s-difference-between-motor-and-engine

"Today, the words are virtually synonymous."

robert

Meh, go better check if your "check motor light" is on then, or order yourself a new fan engine.
In colloquial speak they are synonymous. but in the realm of car mechanics, it's a term of art and never used interchangeably when speaking about the actual motor/engine.

Been debated forever and you can search the interwebs on it, When you use the words interchangeably, it's either out of ignorance, or your specifically talking down to appeal to the masses or specific demographic.

Last edited:
The 4.6L Tau v8 in my wife's Hyundai Genesis take the cake for the quietest I've ever experienced. Even near the red line it's amazingly quiet.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
raytseng -- who makes the 2JZ inline six?

Toyota makes the 2JZ, and is in their supra as well as the Lexus GS300 and IS300 cars (quieter).

The Supra, GS, IS and SC in the "300" flavor all have the Toyota 2JZ. I have two of them and I can attest to the fact that they are extremely smooth and quiet.

I have to echo him; I have had the 2jz (GS300) and it was nice, and the U series like the LS400/LS430 is great. I had the 4.7l 2UZ variant for a while and it was amazing (LC).

Given that, I can't believe how smooth, quiet, and long-lived the Toyota 1mz-fe V6 is. For a V6, it's amazing, and I'd like to know how it's successor behaves (2GR). Currently have one with 235k miles in an ES and I don't know when it's running w/o checking the dash, AND it still performs like new and needs no oil between changes.

The 3.2L V6 in my old Benz was very smooth and quiet. Sometimes I forgot the engine was even running when stopped at lights. Although not impressive on paper, the engine pulled hard and had a throaty growl in my ML320.

The VQ35 is also pretty smooth and racket-free (as long the oil is always full and the timing chain isn't rattling from oil starvation
grin.gif
).

You guys ever get the Nissan RB30 engine in the 80's? 3.0 SOHC inline 6, smooth as silk engine even by today's standards. And pretty bulletproof, a winning combination
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back