Raybestos Element a Good Street Brake Pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running these pads that can give some input on them? I am looking for a street performance pad in the $ 50 - 75 range per axle. Others I am also considering Akebono Street Perf pads, Raybestos AT, Bendix Q3, EBC Red.

Last edited:
I've also wondered about Raybestos pads. I've been wondering what kind to get on the car in my sig when it's time. Which considering the random squeaks I've been getting from them recently may not be all that far off

Akebono are pretty great pads. I used to work at the plant in Glasgow, KY until the economy tanked in 09. They make aftermarket pads that are very close to OEM. Very smooth, quiet and strong. Not the best for towing though but normal driving they are hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: edge10
Anyone running these pads that can give some input on them? I am looking for a street performance pad in the $ 50 - 75 range per axle. Others I am also considering Akebono Street Perf pads, Raybestos AT, Bendix Q3, EBC Red.
EBC Red is a nice pad. Good bite, long wear and it doesn''t turn the alloys black.

One thing that caught my interest on the Raybestos Element that it is a composition of metallic and ceramic materials - claiming the best of both for a performance pad. But since this is a new pad there may not be many production units out in the field yet.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
What is the FSMI 2-letter rating on any of these pads? Hard data for comparison is out there, you just have to look for it.

This is a good question, but it's hard to know this without physically looking at the pads.

I did a google image search and I could only find one image where I could read the code. On this pad, at least, the rating is GG. Who knows about other applications.
middle_2.JPG

I also ran across this Kijiji ad. It doesn't show the friction rating, but it does show the country of origin. China, unfortunately.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-parts-...785h/1024842389

$_27.JPG

They are the only pads that I can find with the GG rating for the cars in my sig, save the front pads on the A6. They told me that they don't have a part number for the application, and don't know if they will in the future.

I will be putting them on the front of the Ody when I have the dealer replace the rotors under warranty for brake shudder. The first time they resurfaced at 12k miles and I've heard that if it happens again they replace the rotors and pads. I suspect they use an EE rated pad and the vehicle is just too heavy to stop with an EE and allow the system to cool down properly.

What is the FSMI 2-letter rating on any of these pads? Hard data for comparison is out there, you just have to look for it.

Based on my searches there isn't much if any comparison data other than the friction ratings and non- comparison sae noise tests. So, I am looking for is real world input from those that have used the pad: bite, stopping power, fade, pedal feel, dusting and wear.

Too bad about the China manufacturing, especially for a premium pad. Unfortunately we are going to see more of this. I think I read in the new York times that domestic content for parts in new cars getting much lower and it will continue. Asia and Mexico will pick up the production.

I like Raybestos. My opinion is to skip the element pads and go for the Advanced Technology pads. These are excellent pads.

A few years ago I was shopping for pads, and always used Raybestos, so I looked into them. India. I passed.
I found a place that had older Raybestos AT pads made in USA. Still running those. The Akebonos I recently put on the GF's civic were also USA. IMO, I would skip the China pads- no scientific/proven reason though.

What timing, a full set of EHT pads just arrived for my CTS-V via RockAuto. I bought them after reading someone with a newer F150 talk about how much bite they had vs the OEM pad. Initial bite is what matters most to me. I don't do anything strenuous with the car, except some random high speed stops or short spirited driving.

I used EBC Reds on my 2003 Mustang Cobra and a Cavalier, I did not like them. Initial bite on the Cobra was weak compared to the Brembo pads and the dust was excessive and staining. They also did not last that long on the Cavalier, just under 20,000 miles. I sold the Cobra with them on it so I can't comment on the longevity there.

Looking at mine it's GG, which is excellent from what I gather.

I'm also looking at the two different sets of Monroe Total Solution (top tier) Ceramics that I ordered (I'm change brakes on my parents cars). The front set for the 06 Accord EXL is GG while the rear is FF. And the set for the 07 CR-V EXL is FF in the front and GG in the rear. Disappointing that they are not equal considering the line is the same, the material should be the same.

For a non-Euro application, Akebono ProACT and Centric 105 series are hard to beat if you want to avoid the OEM product (for whatever reason).

I would order Centric hardware if you use Akebonos since hardware is generally not included.

Originally Posted By: Shark
I'm also looking at the two different sets of Monroe Total Solution (top tier) Ceramics that I ordered (I'm change brakes on my parents cars). The front set for the 06 Accord EXL is GG while the rear is FF. And the set for the 07 CR-V EXL is FF in the front and GG in the rear. Disappointing that they are not equal considering the line is the same, the material should be the same.

Just because it's the same line of pads doesn't mean they're going to have identical friction ratings in every application.

It seems to me that it would not be good if they were identical in every application. There is variance needed between applications, I would suspect.

Originally Posted By: Shark
What timing, a full set of EHT pads just arrived for my CTS-V via RockAuto. I bought them after reading someone with a newer F150 talk about how much bite they had vs the OEM pad. Initial bite is what matters most to me. I don't do anything strenuous with the car, except some random high speed stops or short spirited driving.

I used EBC Reds on my 2003 Mustang Cobra and a Cavalier, I did not like them. Initial bite on the Cobra was weak compared to the Brembo pads and the dust was excessive and staining. They also did not last that long on the Cavalier, just under 20,000 miles. I sold the Cobra with them on it so I can't comment on the longevity there.

Keep us posted on how the eht pads work out.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Just because it's the same line of pads doesn't mean they're going to have identical friction ratings in every application.

It seems to me that it would not be good if they were identical in every application. There is variance needed between applications, I would suspect.

I'm sure there is a reason, hopefully the factory pads are marked so I can compare. From what I've been reading I'll take better stopping brakes with less heat fade (GG over FF) in any application. The price didn't seem to reflect a less capable pad.

After reading a bit more about these, I decided to order 6 sets of these for some upcoming brake jobs.

Interestingly enough, the Raybestos EHT pads are showing to be GG rated on each application that I purchased them for.

I will keep everyone posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back