Castrol GTX Magnatec at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Walmart today to scoop up on some clearance Royal Purple 0W-20 and saw that they finally had individual quarts and 5 quart jugs of Castrol GTX Magnatec. Sorry for the poor picture, I had a few employees rounding the corner into the aisle as I was taking the picture and tried to hurry my phone back into my pocket. This location only had 5W-20 and 5W-30. I was expecting it to be more in the $17-19 range, but $21 doesn't seem unreasonable.
20150325_115556_resized_zpsqrg8y2ls.jpg

I wish I could find the 0w20 in 5 quart jugs. Castrol is a quality oil with very little love, well the advertising isn't the best though.

Sweet! Will have to try this out in the Uplander or Buick. Did you see a 0w20 grade there?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Sweet! Will have to try this out in the Uplander or Buick. Did you see a 0w20 grade there?

Nope, I only saw the 5W-20 and 5W-30. YMMV. Maybe other locations will have other grades.

I believe its priced accordingly and 20wt being full synthetic is a bargain

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 209paulc
I believe its priced accordingly and isnt the 20wt full synthetic?

Yes, the 5W-30 and 10W-30 are synthetic blends and the 0W-20 and 5W-20 are full synthetics.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I've never seen it. Is it conventional, blend, or synthetic?

See the post right above yours.
smile.gif
It just came out a little while ago (maybe a month ago or so?) and is now finally at Walmart as well.

Why rush to put the phone camera away? Are you not supposed to take pictures at a store? I often do and send it to my wife to show her something.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Why rush to put the phone camera away? Are you not supposed to take pictures at a store? I often do and send it to my wife to show her something.

I know from watching videos on YouTube of people in stores that sometimes employees get funny about it or ask you to leave if you film in the store. I didn't really want the confrontation, just in case.

yes I've noticed this is now in stock and they clearanced out the castrol GTX synblend i was able to score 2 jugs of that for 11 bucks a piece.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I know from watching videos on YouTube of people in stores that sometimes employees get funny about it or ask you to leave if you film in the store. I didn't really want the confrontation, just in case.

Off topic, but stores are really going to have to start abandoning this policy. I can understand when they're worried about the competition checking their prices all the time, particularly when cameras were film and movies were on tape (or worse). Considering most people have a cell phone with a camera these days, and shop with said devices, it's getting a little silly. It's getting to the point where it would be akin to not allowing shopping lists and pens because customers might be scoping out prices for the competition.

What makes it so special? Pink unicorn Pegasus Pee? Their commercial is very vague does anybody know what is actually added to it or what the special process it goes through to make it bond better?

Although it's still marketing, it is underpinned by science... take a look here. Sometimes stuff works despite the marketing!
wink.gif

Of course they won't tell you what the "unique molecules" are - this is proprietary. However, this chart indicates their effect...

new-img8_19.png

I think Castrol oil in general is very over-rated. Most of the time, something comparable can be had for less too. My .02.

Intelligent Molecules?

I saw the TV commercial on this stuff. Sticks like.... that thick Lucas Oil Treatment/STP Oil Treatment. No wait a minute... WalMart shelf pic says Intelligent Molecules but no IQ score posted.
Will have to look at the pic again to see the atoms form a molecule, and how many protons, ions, electrons etc. are whip'n around the molecule in a confused state.

One of my kids been using the GTX (green bottle stuff I think) on his mid-late 90s Camry since he bought it (guessing 8+ years ago). Maybe he'll try this new stuff since he been happy with the GTX so far.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Intelligent Molecules?

Actually they are referring to something that does stick to the metal. Tribology articles discuss molecules that contain a polar head and a long tail to adhere to metal for wear reduction. Its a real thing. Other motor oils do this to some extent too. Magnatec might do it more than most(?).

Originally Posted By: fredfactory
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Intelligent Molecules?

Actually they are referring to something that does stick to the metal. Tribology articles discuss molecules that contain a polar head and a long tail to adhere to metal for wear reduction. Its a real thing. Other motor oils do this to some extent too. Magnatec might do it more than most(?).

Probably. Castrol might be using either a small(but more than their competitors)amount of esters in their base or additive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back