Oil recommendations for 10k OCI on E85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its for the 2010 4.8L Sierra with 58k miles in my signature. Its been solely fueled in the past with E85 at 5k OCI but once I started extending the OCIs from 7.5k then 10k E85 has only been used in the summer months for towing. Truck has only seen GC 0w30 its entire life and runs well on it. Operators manual states nothing about shorting OCI while fueling with E85, believe Ford and Toyota say otherwise. Truck runs great on E85 and stations along my 35 mile commute now carry E85 and I've made the decision to use it as much as possible. Should I result back to a 5k OCI and perform a UOA or are current oils (preferably Castrol) capable of 10k while on E85.

80/20 high/city, roughly 1300 miles per month. Tow the travel trailer (4500lbs loaded) on average 5 times per year. Tow no more then 2000 miles per year

Last edited:
Manual doesn't mention E85 as severe driving.

Simply states to follow OLM or changed at least once a year

E85 is such a politically-charged subject. Really hard to get solid facts regarding engine deposits, efficiency, wear, etc.

Anecdotally, I know my old 2002 Saab 9-3 and my current Volvo (both turbos with wideband O2 sensors) run like a scalded cat on E85 - but I can't speak to the effects of E85 on oil life and ring lubrication. I guess we need more UOA's from E85 users.

The GM OLM accounts for various ethanol blends on the flex fuel motors. As long as the oil meets or beats the spec they state, dexos1, then there should be no issues to worry about.

My 2013 1500 5.3L, the manual said nothing about changing OCI intervals, just follow OLM. Same for the 2015 2500HD 6.0L I bought. I used E85 in my 1500 frequently, but price spread hasn't been good enough recently to use it. It seems to take about a 70 cent price spread to break even on the mpg differences on a cost per mile basis. For the last few months, E15 has been the best value per mile for me in my area.

That being said, I used Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 synthetic in my 1500 and now in my 2500HD. One of the key things Schaeffer made claim to was that they formulated especially for higher ethanol blends.

dexos is designed with E85 in mind, and heavily pushes the fuel, too.

You'll be fine with any dexos-rated oil for the OLM's suggested interval. Castrol Edge 5w30 should work for you, and Magnatec is dexos as well.

I personally do not believe any negative engine wear from e85. I have studied this fuel for a while and have used it from time to time in even vehicles with no spec for it, but had two cars that did have the ability/spec to run it. I use it when the spread is decent as mentioned above. My math the spread has to be at least 50 cent per gallon but more like 60 cent or better per gallon to be worth the purchase for me due to the dip in MPG.

I am not going to comment on 10k OCI because there are tons of opinions on it, but I have not gone past 9500 in any OCI yet (I get too itchy and want to change before 10k). However, I do not think the choice of oil is going to protect any better or worse because e85 is being used.

The OLM in my pickup gets below 10% at around 7000 miles. Was reading the comparisons of the GF-5, SN, and dexos 1 specs a while back. Seems the GF-5 addresses ethanol better than dexos1. Doesn't really matter, because every dexos1 spec oil also claims SN and GF-5 compliance also. Not sure there is really much of a concern on OCI's using ethanol blends up to 85%. I did a sample on my last pickup at 7200 miles and most of that was on E85 and the oil sample was fine, so the oil was doing what it had to.

Is SL rated GC/BC 0w30 up to the task? Or ditch my stash in the Terrain and start using dexos in the truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back