looking for a hose clamp pliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After struggling with those spring type hose clamps lately I have decided to buy a hose clamp pliers. I see they make multiple different styles and types, does anyone have a favorite that they would be willing to recommend?? How about the cable operated ones?? Thanks in advance for any help givin..

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
90 or 45 degree bent long reach needle nose pliers.

+1. Always work just fine for me and have so many other uses.

Those only work on small hose clamps like the hose for the reservoir.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Those only work on small hose clamps like the hose for the reservoir.

Not if you buy the large ones. Work on anything I could find, CV boots, too. They come in lengths up to 11" or so; those are I think what Vern meant and I had in mind.

GearPliers big 15 piece plier set is on closeout on Amazon for $99, a great deal. It has a cable pliers tool and multiple pliers type hose clamp tools, and other stuff. I got it and the first time I used it on a buddy's V6 minivan I thought to myself "I could never get this job done without a tool like this".

I'm kind of shocked at all the people on the Internet who say "the cable stretched and I threw the tool away." It's not like a bicycle cable can't be shimmed on one end between the plier and the end ferrule to take away the slack!

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The Mayhew does look like a good tool I am just not sure if I can justify the $75 price tag on something I will not be using on a regular basis (maybe I will put it on my wishlist) on the other hand as stated above if I buy one it will be a good one, decisions,decisions!!

If you don't mind buying Taiwan made, the Astro Pneumatic 9409A is well built and has been serving me well. It still has the U.S./France patents like Mayhew. They made improvements several years ago to include better ratchet teeth, heavier, adjustable cable, etc.. Repair cables are available also. About $36 +/-.

http://www.tooltopia.com/astro-pneumatic-9409a.aspx
AST9409A.jpg

Originally Posted By: JohnMack
not sure if I can justify the $75 price tag on something I will not be using on a regular basis

For the amount of frustration it saves you, it's well worth the $75 and then some.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Craftsman has a made in France cable type for around $40.

That what I have and its a lifesaver. I highly recommend it.
Just remember, there are going to be some places you can't get to with it, so you'll still need some type of pliers to get to certain clamps.

I have the made in France Craftsman as well and like it a lot.

It comes with a new set screw/clamp to repair the cable if it breaks or stretches. You can also order a replacement cable for it. It has a lifetime warranty, but the warranty specifically excludes the cable.

Thanks for the input everyone!! After reviewing my options on your suggestions I will be pulling the trigger on the Craftsman. Although I have fallen out of favor with Sears and there tools in the last few years this one seems to be a good middle of the road compromise. Thanks again for your help, without your "hands on" review of these tools I probably would have made the wrong choice.

I have the Mayhew, but I did have to repair it once. The tool truck guy knew exactly what I was talking about, as if everyone had the same problem. I hope they got better over the last 7 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back