2014 Harley Davidson 103B - 495mi (1494mi total) - HD SYN3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, y'all think we could wander back around to the actual topic?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: dr2152
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Yes and again it meets HDs recommended viscosity and C rating. I'm pretty darn sure it costs the same to make any of these oils, just mystik sells at a lower markup. They don't actively market or promote it as far as I know, just a good price. Granted as some boutique oils and HDs oil as well as other OEM oils, your lacking huge production volumes which I can only assume lowers cost, maybe, I have no idea. But think its pretty safe to say, they are all more similar then dissimilar.
Tough there are some standouts but many of them are not the Boutique oils, except Amsoil which I'll concede, my feelings are they are a stand out company.

My HD manual only has a C rating for diesel oil. Run any 20-50 and you will be fine. HD 20-50 has no C rating on their oil.

I agree you can run any 20/50 but if you want to stick to Harley's recommendation you will use their oil or a API CH oil.
Indian recommends their 20/40 or an API SM

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
So, y'all think we could wander back around to the actual topic?
whistle.gif

Good point. Your UOAs and others have shown the HD oil as a good to better then good oil. Yes, you pay dearly for it and there are some better but many worse. Most of all I still can't help but think just like Indian, Victory their oils have been proven in their engines. With that said, doesn't mean I will always use it.
If the conventional HD 360 is discontinued I'm pretty sure I am going to try the mystik 15/50, as it meets HDs recommendation. Ironic it's a Citgo product too.

Last edited:
I'm considering dropping this fill at the 999 mile mark (1998 total) and going with the oil I had planned for the 5000 mile service. Seems a bit of a waste but it should help get the remaining break in particles out of it.

If I do I would still change the oil at 5000, so it would be just an extra change.

It was at about 1800 when I parked it tonight so I have another nice day to decide...

New fill would be:
Engine - M1 V-Twin 20/50
Primary - M1 4T 10/40
Trans - Redline V-Twin transmission with shockproof.

I like your oil choices. You can't beat the Shockproof in the tranny. M1 works great in Harleys. Many years ago I used to run the old 15w50 in my Harley. Worked great.

I'll be changing sometime, I assume by May 15. I have 1700 miles on the Conventional HD 360 right now, total 2700 miles on the bike. I will be sending it in for a UOA.
New fill will be the same Conv HD 360 or possibly the Mystik 15/50 or 20/50. Not sure yet, as we know, anything can change up until we change.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I like your oil choices. You can't beat the Shockproof in the tranny. M1 works great in Harleys. Many years ago I used to run the old 15w50 in my Harley. Worked great.

My old Ultra had 60k with M1 15-50. New owner was going to keep using 15-50. 2014 has 12k with two oil changes with M1 15-50.

Well it is done...

M1 20/50 in the motor
M1 10/40 in the primary
Redline Trans with shock proof in trans (smells foul)

Came up about 20 miles short on the 999 miles but will send the sample off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back