shills on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ebay bidders
Does anyone think there are a lot of shills on Ebay
I was bidding on this 2001 Mazda Millenia S JM1TA222X11704500 and a guy came it and got it at the end. Now it is back for sale.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Millenia-S...=US_Cars_Trucks

If you look at the bid history the winner has bid on 30 items, all...100% of his bids with that one seller Sell-All-Cars.com LLC.

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 30
Items bid on: 30
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 100%
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=351340403860&aid=.***r&eu=&bidtid=669470815022&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink

I asked what happened and I get
New message from: sellall-cars Top Rated Seller (500Purple Star)
Selling a car on eBay is only a part of the process, actually making positive contact with the winner is the other part. If there is neither deposit nor positive contact made with the winning bidder we will relist the item. Thanks.

If the guy does all his bidding with this one guy, has no bad feedback why can't he get a hold of him?

Last edited:
Looks like shill bidding to me. If you complain to ebay, they'll investigate and shut them down if confirmed.

absolutely. i'm sure it happens all the time in local live auctions too, in fact the one local to me gives a nice disclaimer on how the "auctioneers" can bid on items.

There's a famous car auction in Arizona and every car on the block is sold with no reserve.

You can bet that there are buyers there that work for the seller to protect them from a real low ball result.

eBay has got to suffer from schemes like that.

I tried to tell ebay before. I got no where.
Now if you google the vin you see this thread first.
That may be the best medicine:)

With cars if you the buyer show up and don't like it for whatever reason you can walk away. This policy seems to enhance shilling as there's no downside. Possibly their idea.

ebay is massively overrun with shill bidders and horrible buyers.

Example: buyer buys your item. reports it not as described.. gets refund sends you back trash in a box..keeps your item.

Last edited:
I have been to both car and home auctions and I like to get there really early to take my time and study / review what I am buying very thoroughly. I noticed at one of the home auctions that there were many auction company employees standing around talking early. When bid time came some of them were scattered throughout the crowd and raising the bids.

I always use a sniper to bid on Ebay. I set my snipe at the price I'd be willing to buy it for if I saw it at a store.

Originally Posted By: qjohn
Looks like shill bidding to me. If you complain to ebay, they'll investigate and shut them down if confirmed.
File a complaint. They might even so something about it.

I only use Ebay for small ticket purchases from highly-rated sellers. Would never, ever buy a car off there.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I always use a sniper to bid on Ebay. I set my snipe at the price I'd be willing to buy it for if I saw it at a store.
And the shill doesn't use a sniper?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
And the shill doesn't use a sniper?

Man I honestly wouldn't know. The way I'd think it'd happen,the seller would have a friend or maybe even he himself would start a bidding war against potential buyers,and if the friend or seller "wins" the auction,they just repost it. That's one of my reasons for using a sniper,plus I'm never home to watch an item I want.

That's just part of what an auction is. If you don't like it, just buy fixed priced items.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
That's just part of what an auction is. If you don't like it, just buy fixed priced items.

It says shills are OK in the rules? Or is is it stealing-cheating. Is cheating and cheating acceptable now?

Why can't you try and expose those who cheat and steal when you see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back