Which Filter is better....Fram Ultra or Wix/Napa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
Thanks for all the responses. IMO....all of these heavy can, premium oil filters, synthetic or not seem to do the job for an extended oci or to use for 2 or more oci's in a clean engine. As far as Flow goes.....my hat is off to the K&N, made in USA filters, for back to back oci's in a non-synthetic media for oil flow and ability to trap particles. IMO...with so many filters on the market for extended oci's....any would do an admirable job for their intended purpose of trapping particles and allowing ample oil flow. I also use a Filter Mag attached to my oil canister during each run of any oil filter....be it synthetic, premium or basic which has also helped.

K&N filters haven't been made in the USA for a couple years now. They are not what they used to be. They are massively over priced now.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Thanks for all the responses. IMO....all of these heavy can, premium oil filters, synthetic or not seem to do the job for an extended oci or to use for 2 or more oci's in a clean engine. As far as Flow goes.....my hat is off to the K&N, made in USA filters, for back to back oci's in a non-synthetic media for oil flow and ability to trap particles. IMO...with so many filters on the market for extended oci's....any would do an admirable job for their intended purpose of trapping particles and allowing ample oil flow. I also use a Filter Mag attached to my oil canister during each run of any oil filter....be it synthetic, premium or basic which has also helped.

K&N filters haven't been made in the USA for a couple years now. They are not what they used to be. They are massively over priced now.

Made in china to be exact

like i said in my post you responded to i observed my oil gauge on that dodge van i used to have and with the p1 it took longer to go to the normal range, i also noticed a lifter tick for the first few seconds only when using the pure one not with the group 7 .. I tried another p1 figuring there was a problem with that filter and same thing and again when using the group 7 i had no noise and the oil gauge went rite up to normal. In the previous post i said i used the classic but it was the group 7 (purolater) i consider that the classic. This is just my opinion.. Keep this in mind forget all this special synthetic media and all the fancy advertising and all these possibly flawed graphs (everyone has an agenda) if a filter filters really really well it has to have some restriction its just that way i think they teach that in middle school science class. Again this is just my opinion and im sure there are going to be some that will jump all over this. There is a reason why new car dealers that install their company brand filters on customers cars that they warranty don't filter as well as some of these guys claiming to be 99.9 or anything that high. Its because they want real flow not bypass.. And that is what i want on the engines we rebuild. And for many years we used group 7 and never had a problem. We don't use them anymore because of the tear issues.I will be bringing these issues up at the next engine rebuilding meeting in April.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stewie

Actually they are made in Korea and Mexico

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What's different about the former American-made K&N and the current Chinese-made? If quality is lacking, how & where?

The only difference I am aware of is the reduction of media quality. They used to be a resin impregnated media with approximately 95% efficiency at 20 microns now they are approximately 85% efficient at 20 microns which is suggesting a plain cellulose only media.

If this is true the cellulose media should flow more poorly than previous versions and also your paying top dollar for it while other filters are better for cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Stewie

Actually they are made in Korea and Mexico

Time to find that thread. performance series or the black ones are made in China.

High performance AKA overpriced AKA white w/ nut made in Korea

Last edited:
^^^ I have a couple K&N Pro Series oil filters (black PS oil filters without the nut) I bought last year which are made in the USA ... but I guess those could have been stock from before they started being made in another country.

Originally Posted By: Tony10s
^^^ I have a couple K&N Pro Series oil filters (black PS oil filters without the nut) I bought last year which are made in the USA ... but I guess those could have been stock from before they started being made in another country.

Yeah if you can, they used to be made by champs.

I thought k&n used to be made by champ, but not now obviously. Some clown over on Jeep Forum tried telling everyone that Fram was junk and that Champion Labs makes quality products.
crackmeup2.gif
(Easy now anti Framites.
smile.gif
)

He also said WIX was made by Champ, Fram uses card board to keep up with Walmarts low prices and that K&N was comparable to M1 because the media looked similar.. He posted an old link that said the M1 was as good as K&N, but was the better buy since it was a few $$ cheaper and the only main difference was the lack of a dome nut.

Rant: Jeep Forum has really gone to poo lately. I still go there for technical advice, but there have been several times when wrong information is being spewed out an nobody catches it. Readers view that stuff as gospel too! I can think of a few other Jeep/ car/ off road forums where the moderators have actually gone in and edited the wrong information in the members post because it was so horridly wrong.

Last edited:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3101379&page=2

Motorkings post is here somewhere on page two.

Here is his quote from that thread.
Originally Posted By: Motorking
Hello,
I am the tech director at FRAM Filtration. Until recently, K+N oil filters were made in our Albion, IL factory. They have transferred production to a Korean company and are no longer made in USA or made by FRAM or Champion Labs. The filter efficiency has been reduced from the mid 90's% range down to mid 80 percent range in our testing. They now have lower efficiency, lower capacity and a lower cost that they are not passing along to end users. Not trying to sound like sour grapes that we lost this customer but they are not making the filter as good as it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back