PHOSPHORUS 622 792
ZINC 775 944
BARIUM 0 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.8. (56-63)
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.3. (9.1-11.3)
Flashpoint in °F 390.0. >365
Fuel % Antifreeze % POS
Water % 0.0. Insolubles 0.1.
Comments: positive for coolant, due to high potassium and sodium, also silicon. Copper is also high, showing wear at brass/bronze parts like bushings and bearings.

-_------------

I apologize for not being able to post PDF from phone, it looks like many others have problems too.

Hi all, long time browser, first time poster. As this is a 5.7 vortec crate engine with no external leaks, the likely culprit is a failing intake manifold gasket( I sometimes have a slight stutter at idle, likely small vacuum leak).

I have two questions. How serious is this problem? Is this level of coolant and bearing wear killing my engine life an emergency, or can I schedule this repair at my convenience (1-3 months)?

Also, my untrained eye thinks the Chevron Supreme tests out well. Is this correct?

Thanks!

The sooner you repair it the better. If you can't get to it right away, maybe change the oil every 1,000 mi. to keep the contamination low.

Chevron Supreme is, indeed, supreme. I have a friend who has a Jetta in which he has racked up over 400,000 miles in long distance commuting. His OCI routine is Chevron Supreme 10w-40 and filter ONCE per year and keep it topped up at all times.

I would tackle the coolant issue asap. The copper issues? This engine is still breaking in. You are always going to have higher levels from rings seating, cylinder walls "knocking the cross hatch off", etc etc.

Unless youre ingesting a huge amount of coolant, the other numbers cant be fully to blame on the coolant issue itself, and just normal numbers from a new engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: highcascade3
How serious is this problem?

It's serious enough that you need to park the truck and not drive it until you get that intake manifold gasket replaced.

BIG problem. Fix immediately.

Still under 100K warranty?

Your engine is fully broke in at 30K miles.

Actually, its broke right now.

Good luck.

And, No I don't like Chevron oils.

Thanks for the feedback. I've had the k2500 suburban this is in for about 8000 miles, and have lost well under a quart of coolant.(conventional green, this engine hasn't had dexcool from me or the original owner).

I better jump on this repair it sounds.

Last edited:
I dont think this is warrantable, I'll check the paperwork. It's still under 3 year 36k warranty from prior owner, but I'd guess they'd blame gasket failure on installation. (It was a carry out, not dealer install.

One other thing that I didn't mention....the Blackstone report said to not extend my interval beyond 5000mi, but did not mention that the levels of coolant spelled impending doom. Does this change anything?

GEEZ, man! Do NOT drive this thing until it's fixed. It's called "silent death". You most definitely have the LIM leak. Waiting 1 to 3 months is stupid.

Great add pack in the oil.

Good job Captain Obvious.

Originally Posted By: car51
I would honestly keep a eye on your coolant level and or check for leaks. Sounds like cooling system problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back