Are these Filter Holes comparable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i took a pic of these 2 filters, do the inlet holes have a comparable surface area? it looks to me like the filter with the 8 smaller holes has more overall surface area.

the filter with the 8 small holes is mahle brand and the other is mann,

ehdumh.jpg

direct link for a bigger pic: http://oi58.tinypic.com/ehdumh.jpg

Last edited:
Would the fewer inlet holes have something to do with the Mann filters higher bypass?

Cant speak for this one, but the Mann for my dad's Audi is spec'd to bypass around 35 PSI.

Both the filters are specced with a 1 bar bypass. The filters are not for the same car but the mann filter is oversized. Was hoping to ask on here if the fewer inlet holes would be a problem

Originally Posted By: slybunda
Both the filters are specced with a 1 bar bypass. The filters are not for the same car but the mann filter is oversized. Was hoping to ask on here if the fewer inlet holes would be a problem

It wont be an issue. WIX makes a comparable filter to that with more holes if you can find them around you. Locally for me, they are actually cheaper than the Mann and of great quality. (And they aren't related to Purolator and their tearing issues.)

Sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but you mentioned the Mann is an over-sized filter? Do you know the bypass spec for the car it is going to be used on?

The same filter (35 PSI bypass) that is for my dads Audi can be used for my Jeep. The OEM filter for my Jeep has around a 12 PSI bypass I think? No way would I use that Mann filter on my Jeep!

Then apparently the Mobil 1 M1-204 filter for my Jeep can be used on my dads Audi.. I'd fear the bypass would always be open if it was used. I am not sure how they consider these filters equivalents.. Of all the filters made for my Jeep and the Audi, these are the only 2 that claim to be equivalents too.

Last edited:
Ahh OK that's cool the bypass for the car is rated 1 bar so both the filters in the PIC are fine bypass wise was just concerned that the mann filter with its 5 holes would be an issue over the mahle that has 8 holes.

Iv cut open an equivalent wix filter a wl7077 which is not as good as the Mann filter construction wise. Wix doesn't even have endcaps.

What goes in the inlet holes must come out the center outlet hole... and that center outlet hole is really about 1/2 the size of the filter outlet hole because it mounts onto a threaded mount that goes inside that hole...

Nothing to worry about whatsoever... both those filters have plenty of inlet capacity...!

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Just so you don't worry, 2 holes in the left filter would allow for enough flow for your engine at WOT.

Only 2 holes needed? I find that hard to believe there will be a big restriction and low oil flow probably nacker the bearings etc.

Car is Toyota celica 2zzge engine revs to 8200rpm only 2 of those holes working I would have thought would scrap the engine in short time?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You wanna see a filter with some tiny inlet holes? Get a FRAM Ultra.
laugh.gif

You have to measure and calculate them. Looks are deceiving:

k7O1ct.jpg

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
laugh.gif

You have to measure and calculate them. Looks are deceiving:

k7O1ct.jpg

Where is the Ultra advantage and why are you comparing top-tier Ultra holes to run-of-the-mill, mid-level Motorcraft?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Where is the Ultra advantage and why are you comparing top-tier Ultra holes to run-of-the-mill, mid-level Motorcraft?
It is not a comparison about the filtering capabilities--it was a discussion about the size of the holes in the base plate. The remark was made the holes in the Ultra are very small. The point is even as small as the inlet holes may appear to be they can still flow 121% of the capacity of the outlet hole. Ergo, they are not too small. The MC is there for reference only (it has six large holes versus the FU that has 8 small ones).

All clear now?

laugh.gif

Not ALL Fram Ultra's .... the 7317 on my Honda has more larger oval holes than some of the other model numbers...

The stock Subaru replacement filter, a Fram as well, has really tiny inlet holes...

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter... the inlet holes are not a source of oil flow restriction.

That's good to know the Mann filter I can get at a third of the price of the m1-209 so if the inlet holes are not a restriction then I will get the Mann filter from now on to use as an oversized filter for my application.
Thanks all.

I still don't get how 2 of those holes are enough for oil flow do engines not need that much flow rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back