Chevrolet Aveo starting to get raspy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently noticed that the '04 Chevy Aveo (195k miles) we have in the family is getting more raspy than I remembered when it's idling/pulling out of the driveway. I immediately checked the oil since it was last changed with unknown brand at one of the local $20 places. Oil is at normal levels, and it's never really used much oil.

Any suggestions on what I could try to smooth out the engine a bit?

Probably some kind of exhaust leak or the engine is getting tired.

Those were fairly disposable cars so 200k miles it might just be getting tired.

Isn't the engine made by Daewoo? I'd consider yourself lucky it's made it to almost 200k miles and run it til it dies.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Isn't the engine made by Daewoo? I'd consider yourself lucky it's made it to almost 200k miles and run it til it dies.

yep that's where I was going with my disposable comment

If it is idling roughly but isn't using any oil you might look at cleaning the intake system (injectors, intake valves, throttle body).

mAKESURE YOU HAVE A GOOD FILTER ON THERE,also makesure they closed up the airbox. Like some GUESSED ( that's allwe can dowith vague descriptions) isther emay be an exhaust ormptormouynt or cate care issue developing.. You know w ehave junk gasoline around here. My newnissan engine sounds like junk.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
mAKESURE YOU HAVE A GOOD FILTER ON THERE,also makesure they closed up the airbox. Like some GUESSED ( that's allwe can dowith vague descriptions) isther emay be an exhaust ormptormouynt or cate care issue developing.. You know w ehave junk gasoline around here. My newnissan engine sounds like junk.

Bartender!! I'll have what HE is having!!

I have one of those "stroke warning signs" signs on my refrigerator. I think he hit about three out of the five major signs.

Have you changed the timing belt this month? If you don't change the belt monthly on those cars ... Aside from timing belts constantly snapping, the engines weren't terrible. Not powerful by any means.

I think the most reliable part of those cars was the Toyota transmission ...

I'll agree with the general sentiment that you are lucky to have gotten 195k out of an Aveo.

It should sound a bit raspy.

I'm going with exhaust. After the winter you've had in Boston, if it's not the salt that got it, you may have hit a stray ice ball.

Yes, the flex pipe is getting a bit tired. The mesh is starting to separate from the corrugated pipe inside..

Too bad there isn't a kit just for that pipe like there is for the bigger 2.0l version of this engine. This one I believe you have to replace the whole thing with the catalytic converter.

EDIT: There is a pipe only.. But I've had terrible luck with the Walker branded flexpipes.. Better call Chevy I guess.

Last edited:
Bring it to a muffler shop that does custom work. They can usually save a ton of $$ and just bend up a quick replacement piece.

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Bartender!! I'll have what HE is having!!

'Im having an issue with my space bar periodically not functioning on my keyboard. I didn't have time to proof the missive so it went out as typed:) 10MIN BREAK AT WORK RUSH THING.

Crawled under the car this weekend, and noticed that there is oil coming from the transmission/engine interface, which seems to indicate a rear main seal issue. I wonder if the oil change place used a lighter oil, leading to the additional top-end noise. Dipstick still shows the oil level within range, at 4k on the OCI.

Speaking of the noise, it looks like it's coming from the top-end, potentially the front left side - somewhere around the front camshaft sprocket. The timing belt looks decent still (~40k on the belt and rollers).

The flex-pipe outer mesh has detached off the front, but the inner corrugated pipe is still in tact - initially I thought the noise might be coming from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back