Typical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my hands on a litre of Shell Helix Ultra Extra Diesel 5w-30, and am itching to top up the engine with it but the bloody car doesn't use a drop between oil changes (11k or 1 year). Free oil and it's of no use...

So figured it would be an opportunity to ask about the Pennzoil/Shell similarities and differences. Is Shell also using GTL basestock? (I'm in Europe, Pennzoil isn't available locally anymore).

which pennzoil oils correspond to which shell oils?

Maybe in the next ten years the car starts using oil and I'll be able to top up with this.

Last edited:
It's all about brand marketing.
Shell uses the Pennzoil make here in NA and Helix for their synthetic oils in the rest of the world.

With regards to your Shell Helix Ultra Extra Diesel 5W-30, we don't seem to have that exact product sold here.
But one new diesel oil with a different name in different markets is Shell Helix Ultra Proffesional AV-L 0W-30 and Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30. Different names but exactly the same product.

Acea C2/C3 (B3/B4),
VW 504 00 / 507 00,
Porsche C30,
Chrysler MS-11106,
MB 229.51/229.31,
BMW LL-04

and meets or exceeds
PSA B712290
FIAT 9.55535.S1

Seems strange that it can meet 4 ACEA specs of which at least 2 are mutually exclusive..

Edit: found this in the spec sheet:
SAE getal - SAE J300 5W-30
viscosity 40 ºC, mm²/sec ISO 3104 67,9
viscosity 100 ºC, mm²/sec ISO 3104 11,8
viscosity index - ISO 2909 170
pourpoint, ºC ISO 3016 -39

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_30493_key_140003370319_20091121220_5.pdf

Last edited:
So CATERHAM, you are saying that the oil can have a sulfated ash of
I undestand the VI Unicorns work miracles, but seriously....

Originally Posted By: Shannow

LOL!

I didn't say that at all now did I.
So why don't you get back on your Unicorn and take a hike.

10940490_10152662379883932_7576854785022115886_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Here's what you said...

The ACEA spec's aren't mutually exclusive.
A C3 oil will met C2 requirements but not vise-versa and a C3 oil will exceed A3/B4 requirements but again not vise-versa.

Clearly they ARE mutually exclusive...what did you actually mean by saying that they aren't ?

even c2 and c3 are mutually exclusive, to my knowledge... c2 having a HTHS of no less than 2.9 and no more than 3.5 and c3 being above 3.5...

but more interesting than who said what is why they print this on the bottle and mention it in the spec sheet.

also, doesn't MB 229.51 require HTHS above 3.5 and low saps?

Jetronic I agree with you that a C3 oil shouldn't be also labelled C2 but Shell isn't the only company that does it.
For example M1 ESP 0W-30 is also labelled C2/C3 and the reason they do I suspect is because they
don't have lighter sub HTHS 3.5cP C2 oil in their product line up.
They get an at with it because a C2 oil doesn't have a HTHS viscosity cap, it just must be 2.9cP or greater.

It would be interesting to see how a 5W30 with an HTHS of 3.5+ (really a 40, eh CATERHAM ?) could achieve the 2.5% economy gains required to be labelled a C2, but it's not impossible (throws a few other statements on their heads, but not impossible).

I agree.

Now the A3/B4 bit if you will.

Do you have any 4-cycle gasoline powered lawn equipment? Perhaps a 4-cycle gasoline powered generator?

When some people have more oil than they need, it often goes into the following machines.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Got my hands on a litre of Shell Helix Ultra Extra Diesel 5w-30, and am itching to top up the engine with it but the bloody car doesn't use a drop between oil changes (11k or 1 year). Free oil and it's of no use...

So figured it would be an opportunity to ask about the Pennzoil/Shell similarities and differences. Is Shell also using GTL basestock? (I'm in Europe, Pennzoil isn't available locally anymore).

Maybe in the next ten years the car starts using oil and I'll be able to top up with this.
What are you "itching" to have happen?

Here's what you said...

A C3 oil will met C2 requirements but not vise-versa and a C3 oil will exceed A3/B4 requirements but again not vise-versa.

Clearly they ARE mutually exclusive...what did you actually mean by saying that they aren't ?

bump...

bump, given that I've been accused of putting words in CATERHAM's mouth, maybe he'll come back and explain exactly what he said...

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

Hi Jetronic - Shell manufactures and markets the Pennzoil Brand in the US, along with the Shell Helix Brand in Europe. As such, the Shell GtL base oil that you refer to is used in most Pennzoil synthetic motor oils in the US, as well as most Helix synthetic motor oils in Europe. However, providing a listing of “equivalents” is difficult, as the two Brands serve different markets. With that said, it would be better if we knew the specification(s) that your vehicle requires....we could then match your engine with the appropriate Helix and/or Pennzoil product. - The Pennzoil Team

It's rather simple; Oil can be labelled as C2 oil even if it has greater than 3.5 cP HTHS, just need to satisfy fuel economy requirements of C2 specification. Remember, for C2 oil spec there's only minimum HTHS requirements, there is no limit for max.
Also C2/3 oil can meet requirements of a A3/B4 spec if it has TBN higher than 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back