Older Toyota truck folks...need fluid advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Red Line MT-90. Problem solved.

^^^^^^^ this.

MT-90 is what I use in my toyota gearbox. Best tranny oil I've ever used. And it lasts forever(seemingly).

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Its a 1986 Toyota truck 22-R with 5-sp manual. What should I use in the transfer case and 5 sp tranny...thanks!

The Amsoil website will help also.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Use GL-4 type oils only. GL-5 will corrode the brass syncros in the gearbox

I really doubt you'll find soft metal in a Toyota gearbox. They always specced GL-5, but a dedicated GL-4 will probably provide smoother shifting.

GL-4 required is more of a Nissan thing.

They use brass alloy in the syncros in the AISIN 5 speeds. I've rebuilt about 400 of these transmission at dealers over 20 years. Don't use sulfur smelly GL5. Use Redline MT90

Originally Posted By: Blaze
thanks everyone so far...oops!..forgot, what about the diffs too. Any 80-90 synthetic ok?

75w-90 would be best. You might as well use Red Line's gear oil as long as you're ordering MT-90.

I was always under the impression a GL-5 could be used in something calling for a GL-4? I also always thought GL-6 was its own animal.

Good thing I dont own a transmission calling for GL-4!
15.gif

Not to thread hijack, but since TC oils were mentioned, what would you guys use in a 'Yoda TC asking for a 75w gear oil? I believe Toyota makes an oil, but are there any equivalents on the market?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Use GL-4 type oils only. GL-5 will corrode the brass syncros in the gearbox

I really doubt you'll find soft metal in a Toyota gearbox. They always specced GL-5, but a dedicated GL-4 will probably provide smoother shifting.

GL-4 required is more of a Nissan thing.

Toyotas as well as Nissans,Mazda's,etc all use soft yellow metals. Use a GL4 ONLY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back