Switched from Amsoil to Pennzoil/Quaker State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think I'd ever see the day, but this Spring I drained out the last fill of Amsoil Signature Series and OE. In their place, I installed Quaker State DEFY in one vehicle, and Pennzoil Platinum (GTL) in the other vehicle.

After seeing the latest numbers published by PQIA on these SOPUS products, I could no longer justify the higher cost of Amsoil given my miles driven per year.

Last year I put 5,300 miles on the Dodge and 2,700 miles on the Honda.

After sales tax and MIR, the Pennzoil cost me $2.88 per quart, and Quaker State cost me $3.44 out the door.

Someone help me! I've gone mad!

The replacement oil will do a good job. The DT's will gradually subside and in a couple of months you'll be able to function in polite society, again.

Just remember the advice from people that trip out on LSD. When out in public don't let people stare you in the eye because then they will know.

Also remember. There's more to maintenance than changing the engine oil.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Lucky you. For others it is hit 'n' miss

Just followed the directions.

Actually bought the product, included original receipts, filled out the form, didn't apply for a rebate using my dog's name, etc., etc.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Just remember the advice from people that trip out on LSD. When out in public don't let people stare you in the eye because then they will know.

That's because your pupils are dilated wide open and the hair on your arms is standing straight up. While all that's going on, you'll hear the constant woosh woosh sound of the helicopter blades rotating overhead. Little pink lizards walking along with you.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's because your pupils are dilated wide open and the hair on your arms is standing straight up. While all that's going on, you'll hear the constant woosh woosh sound of the helicopter blades rotating overhead. Little pink lizards walking along with you.
grin2.gif

Haha - Vietnam vet, maybe?

Ativan 2 mg IM could also help with withdrawal as well.. Helps with DTs and brings VS into more stable state. Or if you want the pills that is a option too. That said.. Price point . . we all have a line we would rather not cross. I can't pay $9.79 a at for Castrol w titanium or Pennzoil Ultra for that price either especially when a 5 at container at walk mart is less than $30. $50 is too much for me to change the oil in my car.. Just a bit too much.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Did you actually get the Pennzoil rebate money yet?

Yep! Submitted online with a scanned pdf of my receipts. Got both of my checks quicker than I imagined.

On the other hand, helped my father submit his receipts online. One of his checks came right away, the other did not. Called them, had to re-submit one receipt, finally got the other check.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Ativan 2 mg IM could also help with withdrawal as well.. Helps with DTs and brings VS into more stable state. Or if you want the pills that is a option too. That said.. Price point . . we all have a line we would rather not cross. I can't pay $9.79 a at for Castrol w titanium or Pennzoil Ultra for that price either especially when a 5 at container at walk mart is less than $30. $50 is too much for me to change the oil in my car.. Just a bit too much.

As I've aged a bit more, as my family has grown larger, the dollar has to go further. Priorities have shifted. While at the same time, in my opinion, motor oil technology has become more competitive than before. Today one can get a high quality, high value product at a reasonable price point. Thank goodness it's not 1972 anymore.

There's more to maintenance than changing the engine oil.

Yeah, this go around, I found that the driver side rear wheel cylinder is starting to weep a bit. The Raybestos professional grade wheel cylinder sells on RockAuto for $6.45 while the Mopar OEM sells online for $30.45. Decisions, decisions...

Absolutely agree with you on that.. Their many good products you and I can find that will work really good. And it be easier on our money. I just put a new dualast gold battery in my car for $130.. Could have gotten a XS battery for $200 or a red top for over $220.. But just can't justify that much. Now I know those are great batteries but the Duralast Gold will work all right
smile.gif

it gets easier with time. it is time for me to renew my Amsoil dealer status of 10 years and i really don't think i am this time. I think i can meet all my needs with comparable products and lower cost locally.

what is this world coming to? lol

Originally Posted By: Arctic388
it gets easier with time. it is time for me to renew my Amsoil dealer status of 10 years and i really don't think i am this time. I think i can meet all my needs with comparable products and lower cost locally.

what is this world coming to? lol

I think Amsoil is a great company with great customer service. As far as products goes, in my opinion, Amsoil really shines in 2-Stroke and Power Sports applications. Pretty good transmission and gear lubes too. The motor oil however, they're behind the times and I think it would be good for them if they refocused and came up with a strategy to be more competitive moving forward. The 1972 strategy has become a bit stale. Again, just my opinion.

Amsoil is right up there with Redline IMO. They provide a premium product that delivers that extra 2-5% for a given application. However the premium-ness that Amsoil delivers over a lower priced but high performing is something that I do not require, so my dollars vote with PP/QS/PYB/Motomaster F1 and Rotella....all SOPUS...hmmmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back