External Hard Drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Get Carbonite. $59 for a year...I have it on everything.

How much Storage is that?
Depending on how much you need. I like Google Drive. 100GB for $2/month
1 TB is 10/month.

I keep all of our data ONLY on an external drive, and I swap between two drives. So drive A will be in our fire safe and drive B will be on our desk. Every few months, I image drive B onto drive A, put B in the safe and put A on the desk. Every few months, rinse and repeat. It keeps a physical backup of the data on-site (but safe from fire/flood) and constantly rotates devices so the backup doesn't get too stale.

On top of that, all of our most oft-used data is also on Microsoft OneDrive (whose folder is in our My Docs folder, so it also gets a physical backup).

For a external, bigger is better in my opinion.

I have a network hard drive that backs up to a 3TB in my computer which gets backed up to a 4TB USB3 WD hard drive periodically that gets stored at work.

You can buy a 6TB external now if you want it.

Check TigerDirect and Frys often. The Seagate Portable 2TB was $80 recently. I think yesterday.

Also if you have Win7 or Win8. It has a built in imaging tool. On Win8 you'll see buried in the Control Panel's File History.

However, if you are interested in backing up your files and profile, then Windows Easy Transfer has surprised me. It's available on Win7 from the start menu, but it's again, BURIED in Win8. On Win8 you'll need to dig into the installation DVD's support\migwiz folder. If you have the Win8.1 DVD, it's not there at all, but luckily the Win8 version works just fine.

Like everyone mentioned, backing up to the cloud will take forever for most Americans. Our Internet speeds are embarrassing compared to the rest of the world. To make matters worse, our upload speed is what'll hold you back. If you're lucky you'll be getting .5MB per second upload. I wish that was a typo.

Last edited:
I switched to BackBlaze over a year ago. I've been through several cloud backup providers. They start with unlimited and then slowly change to some fixed amount.

I'm on my third in 6 years. Prior to BB was iDrive. Could never get iDrive to work really well. It didn't seem to care for the idea that I have admin and non-admin users on my machine.

I don't recall what I had before iDrive.

I don't really care about bells and whistles, just backing up my data.

The review is true, the initial backup using BB was slow. I started about a month before my iDrive account would auto-renew.

I think I have about 1/2 T of pictures, documents and what not saved.

The other computers in the home backup to this PC and it will backup those shared folders to BB.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I switched to BackBlaze over a year ago. I've been through several cloud backup providers. They start with unlimited and then slowly change to some fixed amount.

Coming on near 6 years with Crashplan and never an issue. It's pricey but they have not lost my data and I have close to 3TB stored with them across 4 computers. If you go this route, fast and uncapped Internet is a must. I'm on 25/25 FIOS.

I'm on 18/3 uVerse. They don't seem to have a plan that offers a 1:1 ratio.

I have FttP, but until there is competition such as Google Fiber in my market, I don't see anything like that happening here.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Coming on near 6 years with Crashplan and never an issue. It's pricey but they have not lost my data and I have close to 3TB stored with them across 4 computers. If you go this route, fast and uncapped Internet is a must. I'm on 25/25 FIOS.

I'm on 18/3 uVerse. They don't seem to have a plan that offers a 1:1 ratio.

I have FttP, but until there is competition such as Google Fiber in my market, I don't see anything like that happening here.

Yeah it was only recently that Verizon "upgraded" us to 25/25. It is a shame that more providers don't offer decent upload ad reasonable prices - it is getting more and more necessary in today's world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back