Any Saab's worth buying?Is there any reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a cheapskate and poor...As I look at the dealer auction prices the Saab's are dirt cheap.
1/2 the price of any comp year car. An avg 2003 9-3 under 100k is bringing $1500 bucks
03/05/15 1,900 82,620 Avg
03/04/15 $1,200 94,763 Avg
Is there any reliability in the brand? Any model? Any year?

They are cheap because they are orphans.Like Suzuki.Like Peugeot.Like Isuzu.Buy at your risk.

Jeepers, I thought most ANY 10+ YO car near 100k was a 1500 dollar car. (Excepting good serviceable trucks, "CLASSICS" and kid toys like stangs that can be rebuilt and modded.)

If you're a cheapskate and poor, you don't want a Saab-story!

When I need cheap transportation, I always run to Cavaliers and S-10s. You can probably pick up a Cobalt for cheap now.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Jeepers, I thought most ANY 10+ YO car near 100k was a 1500 dollar car. (Excepting good serviceable trucks, "CLASSICS" and kid toys like stangs that can be rebuilt and modded.)

I've been offered $4,000 for my son's 2004 X3 2.5i- and it has 171k on the clock.

You trade often don't you!?!

$1500 cars are more like 12-20 year old cars that are running decently but have problems and nags lurking.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They are cheap because they are orphans.Like Suzuki.Like Peugeot.Like Isuzu.Buy at your risk.

Interestingly enough they seem to have far better parts and warranty support as massive GM owned them. They also did very few model changes and I would be more concerned purchasing the generation right before they closed up shop in 9-5. I believe the 9-3 was the same till Saab's death by GM.

They always have been relatively cheap because they never held their value very well even when Saab was doing well used. Case in point my brother purchased a 3yr old Saab 9-5 Aero with 30k miles for $16k in 2007. My guess is retail approached $35k on that car new.

Reliability is not best out there but not the worst either. I would state below average.

I've always wondered if the Saabaru 92x models were any more or less reliable than the Impreza it is based off of.

The dealer must love you at trade-in time!

Spend some time with Auto Trader or any other large site and look at real prices. Even assuming you can negotiate a 30% discount most 100K vehicles go for way more than 1500.

If you don't mind doing some DIY (which I hope you like, if you're shopping at auctions for
There is A TON of great DIY information online, especially for 9-5s and older 9-3s. Plus there are a plethora of parts available, new and used for most models. Just don't buy the 2010+ 9-5, or a 9-4X, those were only available for 1-2 years.

For the amount of luxury and performance you get, I think they are unmatched. Life's too short to drive a Cavalier!

Originally Posted By: HangFire

The dealer must love you at trade-in time!

Spend some time with Auto Trader or any other large site and look at real prices. Even assuming you can negotiate a 30% discount most 100K vehicles go for way more than 1500.

No Shet.. I see these people as nuts. 180k car they call low miles and are asking $3,000.
2000 Volvo 100k $3700 https://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/4948216715.html
99 Honda accord LX one owner 114,000 $4400
Here is a 98 Grand-Prix 1G2WJ52M6WF232116 with 2 wrecks Starting bid:US $2,000.00 Reserve not met. Buy it Now 4000
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Grand-Pr...em=271816102919
Accident reported
Involving front impact
with another motor vehicle
Disabling damage reported
Accident reported
Involving right side impact
with another motor vehicle

I worked for Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel. Many times we took in old Buick's or Oldsmobile's (99 or so) with 60,000 miles and they would give 500 real dollars (show 2000) and then ask 4500. Then they would deduct the "over trade" of 1500 from the profit on the sale and pay you 150 for a "no profit" deal (They would never sell to us at 2000)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spavel6
If you don't mind doing some DIY (which I hope you like, if you're shopping at auctions for
There is A TON of great DIY information online, especially for 9-5s and older 9-3s. Plus there are a plethora of parts available, new and used for most models. Just don't buy the 2010+ 9-5, or a 9-4X, those were only available for 1-2 years.

For the amount of luxury and performance you get, I think they are unmatched. Life's too short to drive a Cavalier!

Thanks...That's what I am interested in. What are the best years and models for reliability.

Random sub-par obervations:
Get a black one, but only drive it on Sunday.
Then it will be a
Black Saabath.

Saab owners generally are cheapskates, but they are quirky and like to take the road less travelled.

But don't name your Saab "Stig" or "Eric", it's become cliched.

The ignition switch on the console is a surprisingly good theft deterrent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spavel6

Never owned a SAAB(came real close, though), but I agree with your reasoning 1000%- I will always go with the quirky/offbeat choice that might need a bit more DIY or TLC over an anodyne mainstream appliance.

Very rare cars here. I think I have seen one in my life time.

I had an international scout and it was hard to find parts for. I imagine the counter clown at auto zone would give you the same funny face he gave me when you say Saab.

Back in the '80's.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I miss Joe Isuzu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back