Quicksilver 20w-50 Synthetic VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
w-mart carries this Quicksilver V-Twin 20w-50 full synthetic for $25/gal. It states it meets API SF/SG/SJ/SL/SM and JASO MA/MA2

I am considering using this in my 2011 Harley Street Glide and could not find a lot of info on this oil, especially an analysis. I decided to contribute to the board and have this tested and post the results. I was hoping someone with experience could review this VOA and interpret as well as compare to some of the other highly recommended V-Twin oils like Valvoline VR1, HD360 or Mobil 1. Thanks in advance!

QuickSilver20W50_VAO.jpg

IMG_4571%201.jpg

IMG_4572%201.jpg

Looks good but I can see some cost cutting since it has less ZDDP (Zinc/Phosphorus) than VR1 and no Boron like Harley HD360 has.

It will get the job done for sure but you can probably do better by getting VR1.

Great post Eric, complete with photos. I have noticed this oil for the last year in Walmart, posted quite a bit about it in other forums, some have used it and all seem happy with it but no one has done a UOA until you, as far as I know. I wonder about this oil EVERY time I am in Walmart.

I am very happy with what I see here. Looks like a good solid oil. Im not going to pick apart the elements in the oil. It would be silly to think we can look at a UOAs and VOAs and know if this oil is superior or inferior to other oils in here when it comes to wear.
BUT I CAN SAY, heck, for the elements tested for, it certainly seems in line with other quality oils in here. Even looks more beefy then Indian Branded oil and similar to many others.

Different oils have different compositions and I am relieved to see a good amount of the stuff we look for in here. Such as zinc, calcium etc. Just because an oil doesnt have Boron does not mean its bad, a lot of oils do not have it, it also has a touch more zinc then some of the others.

True VR1 seems more robust and Harley oils look pretty good to this oil (at much higher cost). Anyway, I think it looks like good stuff, only ONE thing bothers me a LITTLE and that is, it is the Viscosity is a bit more "light" then the Harley oils and it MIGHT matter a LITTLE bit as Harleys run HOT with no liquid cooling.

Anyway, I dont think anyone can go wrong using this oil. I would assume it will do just as good as a lot of them in a UOA. Would it go with the best of them? Most likely not but will you ever notice the difference? Most likely not and who knows, maybe it would or would not run with the best. One thing missing from the VOA is flash though. Might be interesting to see for running in a HOT air cooled engine and MAY notice the "lighter" nature of the viscosity compared to Harleys oil BUT, still doesnt mean its different from other oils.
TO me, this would be a good alternative for Indian branded 20/40 oil and also with liquid cooled bikes requiring 10/40 or 20/50.
Anyway, I honestly am relieved to see it looks respectable although I did expect to see this from Quicksilver.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back