Is all common sense and reasoning gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I was waiting inside a Belle Tire while my car was getting an alignment and rebalance. While I was sipping my free and surprisingly not terribly burnt coffee, I overhear an interesting exchange next to me. A younger man comes in with his girlfriend (maybe wife?) and his father. Evidently the young man's Pontiac needs a new tire, as the current one is irreparable. The desk technician mentions that the only tire in stock that will fit the vehicle is $160 OTD. However, tomorrow there is a shipment coming in and there will be a $130 OTD option. Here's where the common sense goes bye-bye... the young man seems to be strapped for cash, so he offers his father $15 to take him to work the next day, pick him up, then take him back to the tire store, and back home again, therefore negating half of what he would've saved anyway, and costing him a considerable amount more time and hassle for himself and someone else. All for just $15. I know money can get tight, and frugality is an important skill to learn in life. But I have the feeling that some people do not understand that your time, and someone else's, is also worth something. Just my mindless rant; nothing to see here.

Also seen someone at BT buy the cheapest (pretty bad tire too) for their Honda when a pretty good tire was only 7 bucks more.
Even the guy at the desk shook his head....

You should go to a Goodwill store and just listen to shoppers, interesting. Why do I go, looking for deals on old coffee pots. Found a vintage Corning Ware electric percolator for $4 bucks, and on Ebay they wanted 85 bucks. This one was never used and still had the instructions in the pot....I ranted...

He probably didn't even have the $130, or dad won't make him pay back, or just doesn't like price just making excuse to leave and going somewhere else. Those are just off top of my head.

You making an assumption about others time without knowing the circumstances regarding their free time at all.

Klutch, your preaching to a group that makes a new thread everytime Walmart raises the price of a jug of oil 50 cents.

And, the time vs. money argument doesn't always add up. Neither does the the cost/benefit idea. For example, using a Fram Ultra for a 4K OCI doesn't make economic sense, but if it gives personal satisfaction, then the cost/benefit argument gets tossed out the door.

My point: logic does not apply to all situations. In your case above, it is hard to understand the $15 dollar savings, but we don't know the "rest of the story....gooood day".

This is like the old people driving across town just to save 50 cents on eggs. I see this all the time.

I must admit, I first thought he needed new TIRES (plural) so the $15 x4 didn't seem too unreasonable. I think if I was in the kids position, I would have attempted to do the same thing.. $15 is $15 and if it worked around my schedule, why not?

My dad probably would have loaned me a vehicle though.

I know a guy who runs a tire business. By a considerable margin his sales are by price, nothing else matters to many customers. But he doesn't mind too much, they soon come back because their cheap tires have worn out.....
Also he has people calling looking for used tires for their BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes' even a Porsche on one occasion.
Plenty of people here will drive miles out of their way to fill up at a gas station selling at a penny a liter less than the nearest one.

Claud.

I think of gals driving all over for 'deals' on clothes, chow, ect as those items were 'her budget', but the gas, vehicle wear and tear was the husband's. They're married, but not much of a team.

Originally Posted By: Claud
I know a guy who runs a tire business. By a considerable margin his sales are by price, nothing else matters to many customers. But he doesn't mind too much, they soon come back because their cheap tires have worn out.....
Also he has people calling looking for used tires for their BMW's, Audi's, Mercedes' even a Porsche on one occasion.
Plenty of people here will drive miles out of their way to fill up at a gas station selling at a penny a liter less than the nearest one.

Claud.

Funny you mention tires. In the U.S. The cars you mentioned are typically leased when new and it's not uncommon for the factory tires to need replacement just before the lease ends. So instead of buying new tires for a car they'll own for only a couple of months they buy used tires that have just enough tread life to pass inspection at lease turn-in.

Last edited:
People are stupid.

I had a client come in Monday that was having a difficult time starting his car. Of course it HAS to be my installation work.

Battery voltage drops to 7 while cranking. I tell the client it's probably the battery.

"It can't be the battery. I just got that battery."

Go through the process of digging into the battery and discover that it is the factory original battery and it looks its age.

Service minder indicates that he is something like 26,000 miles past Schedule B service.

When I bring it up, the client becomes very angry. "Do you know how much that costs? I can't afford that service."

I might have believed that he was just maintaining it himself but the vehicle was badly neglected. Three bald OE tires, one Kumho Ecsta. Black and crusty under oil filler cap. Vehicle full of garbage...

He is still sticking to his guns that he "just bought that battery." It fails on a load test after charging. It fails with a capacitive tester.

I don't even know what to tell him anymore. Maybe his problem will get better if he protests enough.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
People are stupid.

I had a client come in Monday that was having a difficult time starting his car. Of course it HAS to be my installation work.

Battery voltage drops to 7 while cranking. I tell the client it's probably the battery.

Go through the process of digging into the battery and discover that it is the factory original battery and it looks its age.

Service minder indicates that he is something like 26,000 miles past Schedule B service.

When I bring it up, the client becomes very angry. "Do you know how much that costs? I can't afford that service."

I might have believed that he was just maintaining it himself but the vehicle was badly neglected. Three bald OE tires, one Kumho Ecsta. Black and crusty under oil filler cap. Vehicle full of garbage...

He is still sticking to his guns that he "just bought that battery." It fails on a load test after charging. It fails with a capacitive tester.

I don't even know what to tell him anymore. Maybe his problem will get better if he protests enough.

I've run into people like this, and I can't figure out if they are really that stupid, or if they are trying to scam you.

People are stupid.

I would've said, "If it's a new battery then it's defective. Bring it back to the store you bought it from and get a free warranty replacement. GOODBYE!"

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I've run into people like this, and I can't figure out if they are really that stupid, or if they are trying to scam you.
I think it is both
50.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
People are stupid.

I run into people like this with some regularity, and I think it's a little bit of both.

I think most have some idea that the outcome they are demanding (something for free) is not reasonable, but they think if they make a big stink about it, they will get their way. Their entitlement mentality tells them this is the way the world works. "I want something, but I don't want to pay for it, so I will pitch a fit until someone fixes my problem or gives me what I want for free." They don't care that they are doing something dishonest, it's just "the way things work" to them.

But a smaller number of people are just so clueless about how things work and cause/effect that they really can't comprehend what you are trying to explain to them. Because they can't comprehend it, they think you are trying to trick them or something.

I suspect Spazdog's "client" is the former...he knows his car is a messed up POS, but he is mad about the "device" that is installed, so he lashes out at it for everything that goes wrong with the car. In his mind, it's totally reasonable to go yell at the breathalyzer people first to see if he can get something for free. It's the logical way to deal with the situation because he is mad about the breathalyzer and doesn't want it there in the first place. He's probably also embarrassed to take the car in for repair work at regular shops.

Boy, a lot of judgemnt happened in that 'over hearing'.

I have no idea what $15 means to him, nor have i walked in his shoes or know if his job is on his dads way to his own job etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back