Land Rover spec. STJLR.51.5122/WSS-M12R536-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2015 Range Rover with a Supercharged 3.0L V6.
My apologies if this has been covered but I can't seem to find it on the forums. Where in the USA can you buy Range Rover motor oil with the current specs, that isn't the dealership? Is there a Castrol, Pennzoil or Mobil equivalent?

SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122/WSS-M12R536-A

uMUO7Tg.jpg

Thank you. However, my owners manual does not look like this. It specifies SAE 0W-20 engine oil meeting Jaguar Land Rover specification STJLR.51.5122/WSS-M12R536-A for both engines in the USA.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Is that engine used in any other brands or is it a range rover only engine?
Jaguars

I found Motul Specific 948B and 925B.
try to get those online. On Mobil web site they are saying that oil that you need is not offered on NA market.

Originally Posted By: TJPark01
Is that engine used in any other brands or is it a range rover only engine?
Jaguars
What does Jag recomend?

See my post above.

As far as I know there is only one oil carrying the JLR spec at the moment - Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20. It is dealer-only for now, given that it is such a new spec and all cars that need this oil will still be under warranty, so more likely to be serviced in dealerships.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Quite likely. To clarify my previous statement, I was speaking of the Ford spec itself, and not the newer Land Rover spec.

Mobil 1's website states: "Ford WSS-M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. "

Yep, we've been through this one before. The last to show it on the bottle was, if I remember correctly, the SM/GF-4 version of the Mobil 1. I don't think it's much beyond A1/B1, but I don't really know for sure. If I had an out of warranty one, I'd consider using just M1 or Syntec, but under warranty, well, they've made things a little difficult, and probably needlessly so. It's not like they're looking for an HTHS of 3.5 or above and a TBN of 10 or more, or they wouldn't be using that grade and they'd have a different specification. And, it's certainly not calling for an ultra high VI 20 multigrade, either.

I can't see this being a difficult spec to meet. What I do see is that it's a niche spec that the oil companies don't give a darn about, particularly in North America. Rover is beginning to look like Chrysler, with oil specifications from all over the place. I suppose when a company gets passed around like a coed at a frat party, that's what happens.

Originally Posted By: TJPark01
Originally Posted By: Garak
Quite likely. To clarify my previous statement, I was speaking of the Ford spec itself, and not the newer Land Rover spec.

Mobil 1's website states: "Ford WSS-M2C925-A. We currently do not offer any motor oils in the United States that meet these specifications. "

925A is a 5W-20 spec that is a legacy ford spec. Ford no longer use it but Jaguar do, hence they have now come up with their own specification '5006'

'5122' is the 0W-20 spec as mentioned earlier. This has fuel economy requirements much higher than the 5W-20

925A is a 5W-20 spec that is a legacy ford spec. Ford no longer use it but Jaguar do, hence they have now come up with their own specification '5006'

'5122' is the 0W-20 spec as mentioned earlier. This has fuel economy requirements much higher than the 5W-20[/quote]
The 2015 Range Rover has Auto Stop/Start. By adding complexity and cost, they were able to save 1% of fuel per year. whooptyfreakin-doo!

That's a lot when every gram on every car over the ~130g/km fleet average limit is fined €95.

Start stop technology and thin oil are relatively cheap levers to pull compared to other solutions

I asked the service department at a Jag/Land Rover dealer in LA. They said that the 0W-20 spec oil for new Jags and Land Rovers are not sold OTC and do not come in quarts. They were happy to sell me an oil filter for 58 bucks though. Sigh

Originally Posted By: Clevy
So you have the cash to buy the ride then complain about maintenance costs.

Gimme a break.

Buy a ford or a dodge.

Sure have a break, sounds like you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back