Consensus on when to check oil dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whenever I check my oil it always shows too high or too low

My service manual says to check after minimum 5 min cool-down from operating temperature which is wrong.

I am currently checking it first thing in the morning as any other time it gives inaccurate readings.

So when do you guys check your oil dipstick?

Last edited:
Just a guess as to why most manufacturers specify checking it when refueling, always a level surface, takes the guess work out of it? my Camry reads the same regardless, the Dodge I just let it sit all night.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Just a guess as to why most manufacturers specify checking it when refueling, always a level surface, takes the guess work out of it? my Camry reads the same regardless, the Dodge I just let it sit all night.

When refueling it will give inaccurate reading b/c the oil has yet to return to the oil pan.

As for why it would just be convenient and flat surface is accurate reading.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I do the same as you, first thing in the morning along with tire PSI.

+1, helps if you have a dedicated parking spot to help remove variables.

Yep. 1st thing in am before I drive the car. If I am curious at a gas station.. Well its not going to all drain down to the pan. So there is an allowance for that. Thank goodness I don't have any issues that require checking because of a leak. Knock on wood for that.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I do the same as you, first thing in the morning along with tire PSI.

+1, helps if you have a dedicated parking spot to help remove variables.

+2, I always check everything cold.

Originally Posted By: Stewie
Originally Posted By: zach1900

When refueling it will give inaccurate reading b/c the oil has yet to return to the oil pan.

As for why it would just be convenient and flat surface is accurate reading.

The only time that I check my oil when I am refilling my tank is, when on long vacation drives. You know, long 8-10 hour drives! Or if we've stopped for a bite to eat(before taking off again) and I'm on some level ground.

^^^You know? That anal stuff our wives rolls their eyes at!

JK!

Last edited:
Best time to check it is while there's still oil on the dipstick.

If you leave your inspection intervals too long, then you have no idea how long it's NOT been on the dipstick and are in trouble.

5 mins or so while you fill up is plenty long enough to tell if you have an issue (that's why they have a range of levels that are "OK")

Overnight, parked in the same spot is great to tell you the rate of oil consumption.

They aren't the "same" level on the dipstick...they are both "OK" levels, as long as in the "OK" range.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Best time to check it is while there's still oil on the dipstick.

If you leave your inspection intervals too long, then you have no idea how long it's NOT been on the dipstick and are in trouble.

5 mins or so while you fill up is plenty long enough to tell if you have an issue (that's why they have a range of levels that are "OK")

Overnight, parked in the same spot is great to tell you the rate of oil consumption.

They aren't the "same" level on the dipstick...they are both "OK" levels, as long as in the "OK" range.

X-2

There is no bad time to check it but its best to wait about 5 minutes to get accurate and consistent readings.

I too prefer to check the oil level when the oil is cold. IF checking in the morning, I always subtract 1/8" (off the indicated level on the dipstick) to account for the excess oil drained overnight.

I find it tough to check it when you're getting gas not only because it hasn't all drained back down to the pan, but gas stations (around here at least) usually have very uneven surfaces and it would be pretty far off anyways.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
There is no bad time to check it but its best to wait about 5 minutes to get accurate and consistent readings.

I get readings as if it was overfilled.

Try it yourself in your mazda

I almost always check at gas stations. Occasionally I will check in the morning, but not often.

I can usually tell if I am getting a false reading.

I'm a check oil in the morning type of guy. If I'm on a trip of say 1200 miles or so (one way) I might check it once or twice at a roadside rest or a fuel stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back