So when can I expect Fiber to my home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in rural Illinois, the Co-op replaced the copper lines in 1997.. just before switching over to fiber optics to the local exchanges... now the majority of rural lines are fiber...

How many years until I get fiber?
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I live in rural Illinois, the Co-op replaced the copper lines in 1997.. just before switching over to fiber optics to the local exchanges... now the majority of rural lines are fiber...

How many years until I get fiber?
frown.gif

Probably not in your lifetime, who used to own the lines before the co-op took over AT&T (Ma Bell)? It's pretty expensive to lay fiber to all individual homes, when they can just use the existing copper, as long as it is in decent shape. Unfortunately the USA is becoming a third world nation when it comes to telecom and internet services. Slow speeds and outrageous prices for them. Plus rotting copper lines in much of the country, cable isn't a whole lot better, with spotty coverage, high prices, and less than decent reliability.

There is a thread re: "Google fiber" going on now here.

I didn't mention there but will mention here that our trial of FiOS was bad. The TV was the same but the battery backup for the phone service was GARBAGE.
They sent a new battery and it still was bad. I suppose the charger was the defective element.

Good thing we had a brief periods of spotty power. Oh yeah,...Verizon just abandoned the charger etc. It's all on a joist, just sittin' there.

I think firer optic would be only as good as the system it pumps into. Kira

Verizon FIOS is excellent in Texas...super fast and ultra reliable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back