filter for oci of 4-5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
I would highly recommend the Purolator Classic, excellent tough durable media, highly reliable and excellent filtration for the money. Can be had at walmart for all of $3.26 in my area.

I wouldn't touch a Purolator till they admit there was a tearing problem and they made corrections.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I would highly recommend the Purolator Classic, excellent tough durable media, highly reliable and excellent filtration for the money. Can be had at walmart for all of $3.26 in my area.

I wouldn't touch a Purolator till they admit there was a tearing problem and they made corrections.

there is a small sect of fanatics on this forum who claim purolators have that issue, i would recommend sending the filter to purolator for observation versus making blind claims and accusations which the small sect continues to profess.

The first of TWO Purolator tears... back to back failures.

aIMG_20140219_224808_907_zps81dbcd76.jpg

and on the bottom and top of the filter

aIMG_20140219_224856_967_zpsd0c56f29.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener

there is a small sect of fanatics on this forum who claim purolators have that issue, i would recommend sending the filter to purolator for observation versus making blind claims and accusations which the small sect continues to profess.

^^ Yes, send it to Purolator and they will be completely transparent with their findings
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

ever feel like a dog chasing its own tail? send it to the manufacturer, posting it on the internet will get you more useless conjecture.

Yeah that makes sense... Send it back to the manufacturer who will say they cannot do anything about it since the filter was disassembled, or just never open it and pretend they have no problem?

The benefits of cutting your own filter are limited yes, but at least you know if you had problems with a specific filter by cutting it open you know to avoid that until it's fixed... Maybe even forever depending on how the manufacturer deals with the issue.

There are way too many reports of Purolator issues on the Web to compared to the small number of people who actually cut open their filters to say it's not an issue.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yeah that makes sense... Send it back to the manufacturer who will say they cannot do anything about it since the filter was disassembled, or just never open it and pretend they have no problem?

The benefits of cutting your own filter are limited yes, but at least you know if you had problems with a specific filter by cutting it open you know to avoid that until it's fixed... Maybe even forever depending on how the manufacturer deals with the issue.

There are way too many reports of Purolator issues on the Web to compared to the small number of people who actually cut open their filters to say it's not an issue.

Maybe there is a niche market out there where an oil filter manufacturer would allow a backyard amateur tribologist to cut open their own filters for a warranty claim. I would sell that filter for no less than $500 dollars.

Last edited:
Any entry level filter SHOULD be able to be ran 5k issue free. I can name a few which I wouldn't trust, but here that's as bad as kicking a small dog.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

ever feel like a dog chasing its own tail? send it to the manufacturer, posting it on the internet will get you more useless conjecture.

It's hard to do when they ignore emails.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Andyge
Fram Extra Guard or Fram Tough Guard .

Andy

No mention of the vehicle being used. For such a small OCI, just use an Extra Guard, Napa Silver or OEM.

Oh my ... this is just not helpful to new members or to the OP.

In response to Andy's first question/initial post, in my opinion, if I had to choose between the FRAM EG and TG filters, I would choose TG. The TG is more than is needed for a 4-5k OCI, but it is a much better filter than the EG (for example, TG has better efficiency, silicone ADBV, etc.).

Originally Posted By: Topo
If you have a federated auto parts store, get there house filter, it's good and made by the same manufacture that makes Hastings filter. They should cost around $2.00. I have some pics on here of a federated filter and they are very solid filters with lots of pleats.

thumbsup2.gif
I prefer to use the Hastings Premium oil filter (which is a better filter and also has a reasonable price), but I agree that the Federated Auto Parts filter is a great value for a well-constructed filter.

To the OP, who asked about Frams, not other brands, for your use I'd suggest the simple orange can. More than up to your intervals and I have doubts that paying 3 bucks to upgrade from 95% to 99% efficiency will net you any tangible benefit. (And this is coming from a guy who is an admitted Tough Guard fan.)

I am pondering using Tough Guards on everything and just running them twice to get back to the 3 buck an OCI filter price point myself. Reused a Tough Guard yesterday in fact (left it on for a second OCI) on the Concorde. To my surprise it still took 4.25 quarts instead of the normal 4.5 with filter, so there wasn't that much old oil left in the system.

You could also run TG's twice, get better filtration and save money over the orange can every change.

Maybe there is a niche market out there where an oil filter manufacturer would allow a backyard amateur tribologist to cut open their own filters for a warranty claim. I would sell that filter for no less than $500 dollars.

Maybe, but the sad thing is that there even is such an issue to worry about. People don't tend to cut filters in anticipation of a warranty claim. They do so to see how things worked out, or how things look. They're not testing them rigorously in a lab - they're getting more of a subjective viewpoint. Just like people have complained for decades about "cardboard" end caps or skimpy media on the orange cans, or wavy media in various products, people will complain about tears in filters.

"Cardboard" endcaps had become essentially a meme over the years when taking apart filters. Now, it's Purolator's turn with respect to tears. Fram intentionally used "cardboard" and skimped on the media in the orange can. What's Purolator's excuse? Hear no failure, see no failure, speak no failure? Torn media is a media failure, plain and simple. Until it comes to pass that torn media becomes the norm in the filter industry, I don't have to accept it, and if a filter brand becomes known for tearing, I won't accept it.

You would think that, given the amount of time Purolator has been making filters, they would have mastered sturdy media, not to mention figured out how to glue pleats in an even fashion. Obviously, that's not the case.

^^^ LoL ... I think we should have an oil filter cutting certificate training course. What do you think ... an 80 hour course long enough?
grin.gif

Including yours...

so who is with me? cptbarkey's redneck astrologist oil filters for sale, $500 each. pm me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back