Google Fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who has this? I get home from work and a flier is on my door. Fiber is here, they want sign ups.

Gigabit Net speed is $70 an month, add in TV, 150+ channels and its $130. 1 year commitment.

Very tempting.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Who has this? I get home from work and a flier is on my door. Fiber is here, they want sign ups.

Gigabit Net speed is $70 an month, add in TV, 150+ channels and its $130. 1 year commitment.

Very tempting.

When I first read the subject I thought Google was helping promote regularity and good bowel movements. Metamucil watch out! :p

Originally Posted By: JC1

Very tempting.

When I first read the subject I thought Google was helping promote regularity and good bowel movements. Metamucil watch out! :p

I thought the subject was about carbon fiber...

I logged in just to say DO IT PLEASE. Many of us wish we had access to google fiber and you happen to be lucky enough to. Plus the more people like you that sign up the more they can expand.

Last edited:
$130 for internet and TV? Yikes.

I get it that gigabit might sound enticing, but Ive not had any issues with Netflix on two machines at once with our lowest-end, permanent discount 15MBPS fios.

We boycott cable, but phone and internet is just over $50/month. I cant imagine paying that much more for TV.

Id hate for google to be subsidizing unneeded gigabit bandwidth by spying on my every move to sell me advertising.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It is the going rate out there. I don't like TV much but for folks who like sports(likely not you) I think it is quite reasonable after attending a Red Sox, Celtics and Bruins game in the last year.

If that is all you have available get it. But it doesn't sound any better than the Verizon i have. No cable, just internet.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Can it be compared to FiOS service from Verizon? It's fiberoptic too. Kira

You can get some pretty serious FiOS speed, if you want to pay for it. $300/month to get half the speed that Google Fiber offers and that doesn't include a cable package.

Very tempting.

Had the service I think close to a year now! If it's available to your area go for it! We did have some issue's with loosing the connection every couple of months after coming from TWC I didn't think much of it. This last time called them and they were right on it. Turns out had a bad fiber connection downstairs. No complaints period.. we regularly watch Netflix on the Apple TV, 2 iPads, Mac Mini and my wife's laptop always on youtube.. no where near tapping out the connection. It's nice to never have to see "buffering" or "please wait downloading". Can get tasks done quick and get on with other things in our live's. It is $70 a month.. but time is money and TWC alone was $40 in our area for 5mbs connection.

My area has a lot of google fiber. Many complaints are starting to surface now with more users. I got a guy a few blocks from me who can't even download above 3 Mbps or 0.003 Gbps. Apparently Google doesn't have the backbone infrastructure in place.

There have been some complaints about the TV pausing/skipping, too. I'd personally recommend staying away, especially if you read their user agreement/privacy disclosure.

We had a library who turned down the free gigabit internet simply because of the privacy issues with the google contract.

As a side note, At&T and CCI have gigabit fiber services. I have CCI gigabit fiber internet for $50/month. It is amazing stuff and I get full gigabit speeds to speedtest.net servers, but the reality is right now the internet is the same if you have 50 Mbps+ because of bottlenecks in the net itself. The biggest thing about fiber is most have synchronous upload speeds and if you are a power use, THAT is a huge upgrade.

Last edited:

I would love to get my cable/internet package anywhere near that. Heck, I'd love to get it below $200. Xfinity triple play with HD channels and basic DVR with midrange speed internet and no premium channels is now way over $200 a month.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My area has a lot of google fiber. Many complaints are starting to surface now with more users. I got a guy a few blocks from me who can't even download above 3 Mbps or 0.003 Gbps. Apparently Google doesn't have the backbone infrastructure in place.

There have been some complaints about the TV pausing/skipping, too. I'd personally recommend staying away, especially if you read their user agreement/privacy disclosure.

We had a library who turned down the free gigabit internet simply because of the privacy issues with the google contract.

As a side note, At&T and CCI have gigabit fiber services. I have CCI gigabit fiber internet for $50/month. It is amazing stuff and I get full gigabit speeds to speedtest.net servers, but the reality is right now the internet is the same if you have 50 Mbps+ because of bottlenecks in the net itself. The biggest thing about fiber is most have synchronous upload speeds and if you are a power use, THAT is a huge upgrade.

interesting, I am on the Missouri side. I was wondering if this was still in the guinea pig stage.

Originally Posted By: Canawler

I would love to get my cable/internet package anywhere near that. Heck, I'd love to get it below $200. Xfinity triple play with HD channels and basic DVR with midrange speed internet and no premium channels is now way over $200 a month.

That's crazy! Why are you staying with them?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: Canawler

That's crazy! Why are you staying with them?

Majority of areas your choice is a single provider especially for high speed internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back