chicago to myrtle beach, travel tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's certainly a jog as there is no easy way to get there. Several Interstates will be required to get there. The Appalachian mountains are beautiful, so take some time to take a "back road" and enjoy them.

Wife and I drove that route last summer, we spent the 2 nights in gatlinburg,TN. I we hiked around a bit, I especially liked driving up into the mountains, there are a few spots up at the top that have great views, I forget the names right now but within 30 mins from gatlinburg.

One thing I distinctly remember about SC.. They have really cheap gas.

Last edited:
Bardstown, TN, home to Makers Mark, Heaven Hill, and Jim Bean...

There is a monastery in that area too...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_of_Our_Lady_of_Gethsemani

Keep on I-64 East to West Virginia, Cass Scenic Railroad, Babcock State Park, etc...
Check when they open...

Around 64 / 81, get on Shenandoah Parkway / Skyline Drive.
Go south, very pretty...
Goden Eagle pass for Seniors, pay once, lifetime admission, I think...

Last edited:
For those "country music" fans, Nashville, TN, the Country Music Museum, Ryman Auditorium, and Grand Old Opry, are also wort visiting...

Here's a tip you didn't ask for!
smile.gif

Not only should the vehicle be in proper order but, UPDATE your GPS!

Some of my favorite roads are very near to your journey. If you like to drive...don't miss them.

Hwy 129 - Deals Gap "Tail of the Dragon"

Blue Ridge Parkway

Cherohala Skyway

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
One thing I distinctly remember about SC.. They have really cheap gas.

you we're right: 2.01. last time i bought gas this cheap was in 2006

Originally Posted By: dja4260
Go to Greenville, SC on the way. I love that place. Downtown is wonderful. I hope to move there in the near future.

I will not be right if i didn't say there's a little seed growing in my mind with a moving there idea...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back