2012 Civic 1.8L, Mobil 1 EP 0w-20, 8,403 mi - Al?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Yea, do another UOA when it's time; try Blackstone.

AND/OR, go back to them and have them run it again if they have more of the sample. Ask if the calibration could have been off too.

Aluminum is a "sticky" element in an ICP-OES instrument. Aluminum, silver, and lead are likely to stick around an instrument for awhile before they are flushed out.

The point being is: If a sample right before your sample had a high level of aluminum, silver, or lead in it....it would likely bleed off and appear to be present in your sample as well.

I run an ICP-OES and an ICP-MS for a living. I'm writing this post from the controller of the OES right now.....

Honestly speaking, I don't understand why re-run is required. I see the high Al, but all other numbers are perfect fine. Look: you made VOA and UOA in two different laboratories, but numbers are very close. IMO, Al value is not fluke.
Al comes mostly from pistons. Any recent oil consumption? If yes, I would say that high Al is a proper measurment.
Which oil did you pour into engine after M1 0W20? Hope, not another "Extended Performance"?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
Aluminum is a "sticky" element in an ICP-OES instrument. Aluminum, silver, and lead are likely to stick around an instrument for awhile before they are flushed out.

The point being is: If a sample right before your sample had a high level of aluminum, silver, or lead in it....it would likely bleed off and appear to be present in your sample as well.

I run an ICP-OES and an ICP-MS for a living. I'm writing this post from the controller of the OES right now.....

Good to know. Thank you.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: buster

Good to know. Thank you.
smile.gif

No problem Buster. When I re-read this thread, I noticed I forgot to add Copper as well. It's real sticky as well.

These elements can have "memory" effects for awhile in an ICP. The problem is, if you run a negative control (like a pure acidic water sample) to check and see if any copper, lead, silver, or anything else is still blowing off the torch, it will likely show that nothing is there. You think you're good to move onto your next sample.

But I've found that these sticky elements tend to be "displaced" by other similar metals that need to be present. So, it's likely that the Phos, Zinc, and Calcium could have displaced the aluminum found in a prior sample. But 70-80ppm of Aluminum is a TON for an ICP to be bleeding off.

Usually, I'm talking about a few ppm or less.

Your engine will wear out using that Mobil 1! Keep it up for a few OCI and your engine will explode!

Not really... do the same OCI next time and check back.

Thanks for posting your VOA as well in a link.

I find it interesting that they said 3.61 BN was low (slightly).

Have you always ran EP in this engine?

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I figured The Critic might benefit from my experience. Some R18 Civics show high aluminum, especially early in their lives. I know mine has. You can search my username for my UOA threads. I've been using M1 AFE 0w20, but started out with the Honda Philips and Idemitsu 0w20 oils.

Your silicon doesn't look as elevated as mine has been or I'd say look at the air cleaner. Swapping mine dropped the silicon substantially but dropped the aluminum only marginally. I'm about to send another sample in (maybe 2 weeks) and when I do I'll post it here. Hoping the AEM air filter solves my aluminum problem, but I'm not confident it has.

Originally Posted By: gpshumway
Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I figured The Critic might benefit from my experience. Some R18 Civics show high aluminum, especially early in their lives. I know mine has. You can search my username for my UOA threads. I've been using M1 AFE 0w20, but started out with the Honda Philips and Idemitsu 0w20 oils.

Your silicon doesn't look as elevated as mine has been or I'd say look at the air cleaner. Swapping mine dropped the silicon substantially but dropped the aluminum only marginally. I'm about to send another sample in (maybe 2 weeks) and when I do I'll post it here. Hoping the AEM air filter solves my aluminum problem, but I'm not confident it has.

Interesting, thanks. I'll probably do another UOA at the next service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back