Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Isnt 229.5 a 20,000 mile drain oil? I know starting TBN isnt everything but....

It's not a blanket "20,000 mile" interval spec. The OCI on MB cars is variable. Supposedly, fuel quality in Europe is better (less sulfur) and thus even mid-SAPs oil like this Synpower can manage extended drain intervals. That is not the case in the US. That is why most German makes advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US if you're going to follow your OLM.

Quote:
This oil's add pack looks very weak

The add pack is weak on purpose. That is the definition of a mid/low-SAPSs oil. The purpose is to make the oil more friendly to modern emission systems, especially on diesel engines.

Pete is correct. I would not use this in any gas engine in the US. MB even put out a bulletin about using the low-saps in gasoline engines. Causes sludging for one. MB oci with this oil is 10k miles in diesels.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i agree with finkle!!the public is getting ripped off!!there is nothing in that and other big company oils!!lol..thats why we have this site to alert people
confused2.gif
-Unless you are running a MB or Sprinter diesel there is really no reason to use this hard-to-find (and relatively pricey) Valvoline oil. In a gas engine there are plenty of better (& cheaper) choices. How is that getting "ripped off"?
Not with that approval list - you are getting ripped off buying your group III fake synthetics with ancient metal and salt add packs. The stuff in there (MST)that BkStn cant see is mega $$$ and high performance state of the art chemistry. Some of the best oils in the world have "invisible" add packs, Check FUCHS Silkolene and its zero wear UOA.

I have a MB diesel and the MST or Mobil 1 ESP oils are the only ones recommended. While their add packs seem questionable, I have a UOA on Mobil 1 ESP 5-40 for 7500 miles, 3700 of that towing a motorcycle trailer, and the report came back excellent and that I could go to 10k with no problem. That is some "Black" oil but the inside of the engine is very clean. I couldn't believe it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back