Derbi GPR 50 trans fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2000 derbi gpr 50 with around 1500 miles on it and am in the process of going thru it. I am having a hard time finding trans fluid specifications. What should I run? It's a two stroke so the oil will just have to lubricate the transmission. Team Calamari recomended 20w50 but I've never been a big fan of parasitic drag...do I run a regular 4t oil, or find a dedicated trans oil. Will redline lightweight shockproof work?

Originally Posted By: quarterliter
It's a two stroke so the oil will just have to lubricate the transmission.

confused.gif

P.S. - Red Line MTL would be appropriate.

I assume you are referring to the little gear box that most scooters have, even the larger ones like Burgman 400, Majesty 400, etc. These call for 10-40 motor oil. Thats what I used in mine as well as my Helix 250 when I had them. Doesn't hold much, less than a cup full.

My 50cc Yamaha Jog manual calls for any old 10w30 motor oil.
I run Amsoil 75w90 gear oil in it which is what most newer 50cc scooters recommend.
Faster/heavier scooter like a 125cc 4 stroke usually recommend 75w140 gear oil.

I would go with a high quality syn 75w90 if it were me. any higher will just sap what small amount of power you already have. I dont think brand really matters here. There is literally 2 small gears back there, nothing complicated.

if you want the heavier 75w140 i would go with readily available valvoline full syn 75w140 from advance or autozone.

Last edited:
Without knowing exactly what's called for its hard to say but Redline lightweight shockproof sounds about perfect. I imagine it has a good tolerance for different viscosity but heavier oils will indeed sap power. The lightweight shockproof is a good 10w30 substitute for wet sump gear boxes.

I imagine anything is an upgraded over the FF which probably has a ton of break in material showing.

aprilia forum is saying 10w40 motorcycle oil..?

and I apologize,
I was thinking this was similar to an Aprilia SR50.
This is definitely closer to actual motorcycle than I originally thought.

Yes its a 6 speed with a wet clutch. Is redline mtl safe for a wet clutch?

I might call AF1 racing and see what they recommend. How light could I gon with the fluid? Tryin to eek out every last bit of this little 50. I would like to have a dedicated gearbox lube, that would be specific to it and not have to double as engine oil. I would think that less compromise will result in a better product

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: quarterliter
Is redline mtl safe for a wet clutch?

"MTL features the balanced friction you would need to make a synchronized shift in a car—this lack of slipperiness is a great match to a wet clutch like in a V-Twin.

We now package this fluid as V-Twin Primary Case Oil, too. This product's balanced friction and light viscosity provides excellent clutch operation with low drag for reduced power losses—the fluid is a 70W80 GL-4 gear oil, but it features the stable ester base stocks that ensure consistent film strength over a wide range of temperatures."

http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=49

If you have to put engine oil in that gearbox than buy at least one with GL4 spec!!! Regular 10w40 engine oil is not appropriate!

Or use any UTTO (ubiversal tractor transmission oil) oil...they are 10w30...10w40 with GL4 spec...

With wet clutch and 75w90 you can get sliding clutch....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back