Which one to choose ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but.........
I currently own ( bought brand new ) a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L in it.
I have used Mobil 1 10W-30 since day one and have not had a single issue and am happy with the cleanliness of the engine.

So, on that note, I am about to buy a 2015 Dodge Ram 2500 with a 6.4L gasser in it.
It uses 0W-40 engine oil.
The manual recommends using Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40.

Of course Going on manufacturer website makes your head spin since they all claim to be the best.

So do I stick with what I know ( Mobil 1 ) or do I move to Pennzoil, Amsoil, Red line, or Royal Purple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with any of them, I'm sure. Nice thing about Mobil 1 is that its available at Wally in 5-qt jugs for a good price. If you like Mobil 1, stick with it.

Problem with Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40 is very hard to find at local stores. Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 0W40 are much easier to find almost anywhere. Few months ago Walmart had 5-qt jug Castrol Edge for $21.xx.

Honestly if you liked the way Mobil 1 worked for all those years then I would stick with it. At my local walmart they have a 5 quart jug of 0w-40 for 26ish dollars, convenience is helpful too.

Buy whatever synthetic 0W40 is cheapest. There is no difference between them. If you see some on sale stock up and that will save travel time next oil change.

M1 and Castrol 0w-40 are both easy to find and reasonably priced. I'd suggest going with one of those. There is absolutely nothing unique about Pennzoil Ultra 0w-40 that would make it work better then either of the other two.

Please understand, I'm not saying Pennzoil Ultra isn't an excellent oil. I just believe that any of the three oils I previously mentioned would protect your engine for a very very long time, so you might as well go with the ones that are easier to find.

I agree to stick with Mobil 1.. Far easier to find than the unicorn blood of the Pennzoil Ultra. Their products are very good as evidenced by your own experience
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back