0W-20 in old 350 chev = clackety clak clack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm not as smart as i think I am. Started the vette a while ago. Man It made a lifter racket, like I've never heard it do. Only ran it 10 min on idle so I doubt the oil even got to room temp. Just long enough for the t-stat to crack open. It's about 34 deg today.

Valvoline 0W-20 I got on AZ sale last fall.

It's been fine with Pennzoil 5W-30 dyno and syn from Jiffy Lube Bulk. 15W-40 syn from Valvoline oil change with German Castrol make-up oil.

May have to rethink the thin oil bias.

I have opposite experience, my E430 was like diesel with M1 0W40 after 7-8 years with it, changed to PP 5W20 in 2007-2008 it was so quiet I thought that the engine didn't run. From that time it never have straight M1 0W40 any more, I mixed it with M1 0W20 to get light 30 weight.

Are troll posts all you have now? I mean really. Try and incite a thick/thin debate because you are bored.

Go ahead, rethink it. Be my guest. Think it all you like. Think and rethink it. Please, I insist. But do it on your own time.

If you're even serious about "rethinking" it which I highly doubt.

Its noisy because you are using a thinner than spec'd oil. Its not the fault of the oil, or the engine most likely. Use what is spec'd for your engine. Many engines can run 0w20, that is, those that require it, your engine is not one of them.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Why would you use 0W20 in an old Chevy short block that calls for 10W30?

1. I wanted to start it every week or 2 over the winter and run just a few minutes. Hence this oil not even close to operating temp should be thicker than 10W-30 or anything I have run in it up to this point.

2. I like to experiment.

3. It was on sale at AZ

It wasn't making any noise last fall in 60 degree temps. So I'm confused.

It's got the white K&N filter.

Maybe I'm not as smart as i think I am. Started the F-150 a while ago. Man It made a lifter racket, like I've never heard it do. Only ran it 10 min on idle so I doubt the oil even got to room temp. Just long enough for the t-stat to crack open. It's about 74 deg today.

Rotella 15W-40 I got on AZ sale last fall.

It's been fine with Pennzoil 5W-30 dyno and syn from Jiffy Lube Bulk. 0W-20 syn from Mobil oil change with German Castrol make-up oil.

May have to rethink the thick oil bias.

"Only ran it 10 min on idle so I doubt the oil even got to room temp. Just long enough for the t-stat to crack open. It's about 34 deg today."
The oil never even reached op temp, and it was too thin.
smirk.gif
I guess those 5w-30s that sheared to 20w for the bpast few decades damaged the internals!
crazy.gif

So just because it was on sale you buy it and put it in an engine that calls for a much thicker oil?
You're better off going too thick instead of too thin
Think a little,man
Experiment on dinner not your engine's

"1. I wanted to start it every week or 2 over the winter and run just a few minutes."

And why would you want to do that?

Originally Posted By: expat
"1. I wanted to start it every week or 2 over the winter and run just a few minutes."

keeps the mice out?

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

keeps the mice out?

That won't keep the mice out. It'll just melt them.

Get some steel woil and stick it in the intake and exhaust.

keeps the mice out?

Oh, and helps my mental stability. It's a gearhead thing.

The 0w20 wouldn't have caused start up noise any more than a thicker product, since at start up the 0w20 at 34 degrees should flow well enough to get to all the parts fast but still be no where near operating temperature when just started so the viscosity would still be higher than necessary for oil pressure to be good.

I would guess that maybe it sat too long with a combination of you paying extra attention to the noise from changing viscosity resulting in the "extra" noise.

I am considering trying 0w20 in my Buick. It can't be any worse than the API SJ 5w30 it was specified for after oems 7500 miles intervals it would be thinner than the 0w20
KV100.

1. I wanted to start it every week or 2 over the winter and run just a few minutes. Hence this oil not even close to operating temp should be thicker than 10W-30 or anything I have run in it up to this point.

That is terrible for a vehicle. If you can't let the oil get up to temp, don't start it.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The 0w20 wouldn't have caused start up noise any more than a thicker product,

I know. I don't understand it. Maybe it has something to do with the base stock.

I'm not trying to trash 0W-20 oil. I never would have put it in my beloved vehicle if I didn't believe it'd work.

I'm going to continue to run this oil this summer and we'll see how it works out with noise and consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back