Going through a '95 Polaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
In '95, after having an '87 Warrior 350 stolen three times, and not being recovered the last, Dad bought a bran-new '95 Polaris Magnum 2x4 425. It has been sitting for the past 6 years. I would like to go riding this summer. I asked if it'd be OK to borrow it figuring I'd put the time and money into it. He was more than happy. He currently has an '06 Sportsman 450 4x4.

Figuring I will probably get all of this.

• Plug - NGK BKR5ES 2460
  • Battery
  • Pre and Air Filter
  • Oil and Filter Change x 2 - Fram PH6017A and M1 0W-40
  • Chain case/Transmission Oil Change - Polaris AGL
  • Chain and Sprockets
  • Belt
  • Tires

Going to go through it all and clean it up, probably take the racks off and spray paint them. Anyone think I'm missing anything?

I really like this era of Polaris ATV. Has always seemed pretty stout and I like how they look. Not a big fan of the all plastic racks and IMO added weight. This this is very simple with a solid axle in the rear and no 4WD.

Last edited:
My dad has a 95 Polaris 425 Magnum 4x4. It only has a few thousand miles and it runs better than my 2002 Kawasaki KVF 650. It'll keep up to my KVF and my brother's 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI up to about 35 mph after which the bigger bikes pull away. Since your bike has been siting 6 years I think it would be a good idea to pull the fuel tank and maybe slosh some fuel through it to clean out any dirt or water that may have accumulated over the years

I believe that it is watercooled is it not? You may want to flush and change the coolant if it has been sitting for that long.

Yes it is water cooled, good call on both, so I'll add:

• check ball joints
  • cheek steering/tie rods
  • go through brakes, check hoses and lines
  • flush brake fluid
  • flush and re-fill coolant

I'd suggest maybe using a better oil filter. The PH6017A will work fine, but it's really just an orange can that's painted black, and usually with a jacked up price tag because it's a "motorcycle filter". Fram Ultra XG6607 would work great, or any of the Fram 6607/Purolator 14612 equivalents.

Is the gas tank rusty? Might need a carb rebuild at this point and a complete fuel system cleaning. Take off the tank and flush out real good and replace the fuel filter for sure (if no fuel filter, add one)

I believe it has a plastic tank so I'll check it for cracks/leaks.

I don't remember seeing a fuel filter on it, but then again, I've never had a lot of the plastics off. I'll look and add one.

they have a semi transparent plastic tank so you shouldn't have any rust problems in the tank. Carb might be gummed up a bit though

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back