12 Beetle and Eos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Go to Wally World.... screw VW specs, and look at:

Shell Rotella T6
Chevron Delo 400LE 5w40

or if you want to spend extra money, Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck.

all available in gallon containers.

all have stout additive packages

M1 0w-40 has an even more stout additive package and is cheaper than T6.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Shell Rotella T6
Chevron Delo 400LE 5w40

not at the wally worlds in my area..... at a unit price of $5.336 per quart (5 quart bottle), it's still more expensive than T6 unit price, not to mention the higher sulphated ash content of 1.3.

I'll take the cheaper oil with less sulphated ash.... been good for 150,000 miles, and my last intake cleaning was at 95,000 miles... and now 200,300 miles and still good to go without needing an intake cleaning.... (on my direct-injected gas engine with turbo)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
"Regular" mobil 1 5w-30 does not carry the VW approval (VW502)

Mobil 1 0w-40 does; that is why people use that.

You should read your owners manual on the proper oil to use.

Check the right hand column

http://www.oilspecifications.org/volkswagen.php

5w30 shoud be fine....reason why is not carrying vw502 is only because is sae30 oil (read vw 500 spec)

First 3 vw specs are so easy that any modern engine oil achive them...no need for complicating here
wink.gif

It is just question of money...pay $ and we will stamp vw 502 stamp on your jug of oil of oil...but that oil already achives that spec because it is so simple...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

5w30 shoud be fine....reason why is not carrying vw502 is only because is sae30 oil (read vw 500 spec)

First 3 vw specs are so easy that any modern engine oil achive them...no need for complicating here
wink.gif

VW revised the 502/505.00 spec many years ago, so they removed the 5w40 restriction. Castrol Edge 0w30 meets 502/505.00 also.

there are other oils that have certification AND 5w30:
Casgtrol SLX Professional OE (VW Part No. VZW 352 167)
Delek Motorsynth FE
Fuchs Titan GT1
to name a few.

Reasons why the uS Mobil 1 5w30 doesn't meet it may include things like HTHS too low, etc.

Last edited:

wink.gif

Not only is it important that it's a 5w-30, its HTHS is too low. There are plenty of 5w-30s and 0w-30s that have an HTHS of 3.5 or greater. M1 5w-30 isn't one of them. Though, under reasonable driving conditions and without terribly extended OCIs, I doubt there'd be any serious concerns.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Shell Rotella T6
Chevron Delo 400LE 5w40

not at the wally worlds in my area..... at a unit price of $5.336 per quart (5 quart bottle), it's still more expensive than T6 unit price, not to mention the higher sulphated ash content of 1.3.

I'll take the cheaper oil with less sulphated ash.... been good for 150,000 miles, and my last intake cleaning was at 95,000 miles... and now 200,300 miles and still good to go without needing an intake cleaning.... (on my direct-injected gas engine with turbo)

What is the Noack of T6?

wink.gif

No, 5W30 is not OK unless it carries VW502.00, 505.01, BMW LL-01, Mercedes 229.5 etc, etc, generally ACEA A3/B3 B4.
Reason is that HTHS is too low and some other stuff (deposits, wear, NOACK).
This 5W30 that you can buy in the U.S. on Wal Mart shelf is much more different then 5W30 you can buy on Petrol gas station in Slovenia, moj prijatelju.
wink.gif

Aha I didnt know that....thanks for noticing me about that difference my friend
smile.gif

Aha nisem vedel za to....hvala ker si me opozoril na to razliko prijatelj (Slovenian)

Aha nisem znao za to....hvala ti jer si me upozorio na ovo razliko prijatelju (Croatian..........Serbian...Bosnian) It is "almost" the same language...they only use different words for some things....but that is in general!
Dont want to go OFF topic....they will probably dissagree with my statment...dont want to start a war about that
smile.gif

Aha I didnt know that....thanks for noticing me about that difference my friend
smile.gif

Aha nisem vedel za to....hvala ker si me opozoril na to razliko prijatelj (Slovenian)

Aha nisem znao za to....hvala ti jer si me upozorio na ovo razliko prijatelju (Croatian..........Serbian...Bosnian) It is "almost" the same language...they only use different words for some things....but that is in general!
Dont want to go OFF topic....they will probably dissagree with my statment...dont want to start a war about that
smile.gif

Yeah, the 5W30 oils you can find on Petrol, INA etc, or stores, always has ACEA approval. Mostly they will still carry VW 502.00, 505.01, 504.00/507.00, MB 229.5 or MB229.51 etc. It is because those are most common cars there.
Here, to get 5W30 oil with those pecs either you have to go to dealership, or get in in some speciality store or order online. 5W30 that you can get in regular store you can use in Toyota Camry, or some Chevrolet, but not in VW or BMW.
Bosnian here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Yeah, the 5W30 oils you can find on Petrol, INA etc, or stores, always has ACEA approval. Mostly they will still carry VW 502.00, 505.01, 504.00/507.00, MB 229.5 or MB229.51 etc. It is because those are most common cars there.
Here, to get 5W30 oil with those pecs either you have to go to dealership, or get in in some speciality store or order online. 5W30 that you can get in regular store you can use in Toyota Camry, or some Chevrolet, but not in VW or BMW.
Bosnian here.

OK that is special example....because in EU (and opposite as you had enlightened me) you will not find USA engine oils in our stores.

BUT what is interesting here is......Slovenian PETROL is selling re-branded Texaco Havoline oils

Here is (original) statement: http://www.petrol.si/povej/ali-je-motorno-olje-petrol-5w30-povsem-enako-olju-texaco-havoline-5w30

Google translate (with my corrections):
Quote:
Is 5W30 motor oil Petrol exactly the same oil as Texaco Havoline 5W30 ?

During your offer I found Petrol Oil 5W30 which corresponds to the standard Ford WSS - M2C 913 -B .
After browsing the internet, I found that this should be exactly the same oil as Texaco Havoline 5W30 oil .

I wonder , is my conclusion correct?

Thank you very much for the information !

Answer: Dear Sir (ok I think that one is not appropriate, but I dont remember better word
smile.gif
) ,

your conclusion is correct. All Petrol motor oils are re-brand of the brand Texaco . This also applies to the Petrol Energy 5w30 wich is re-brand of Texaco Havoline Energy 5W-30

Sincerely ,
Aleš Arnšek

What is more interesting is that same oils on USA site doesnt have ACEA and some other (EU) specs.....but in EU they do (although slightly old ones)
smile.gif

Proof: https://www.petrol.si/sites/www.petrol.si/files/katalog_izdelkov_petrol.pdf

Prijatno čitanje prijatelju
smile.gif

It doesn't surprise me that some data is out of date.

Chevron bought Texaco a few years ago. They then changed the oil labels from "Havoline by Texaco" to "Havoline by Chevron"

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Bosnian here.

OK that is special example....because in EU (and opposite as you had enlightened me) you will not find USA engine oils in our stores.

BUT what is interesting here is......Slovenian PETROL is selling re-branded Texaco Havoline oils

Here is (original) statement: http://www.petrol.si/povej/ali-je-motorno-olje-petrol-5w30-povsem-enako-olju-texaco-havoline-5w30

Google translate (with my corrections):
Quote:
Is 5W30 motor oil Petrol exactly the same oil as Texaco Havoline 5W30 ?

During your offer I found Petrol Oil 5W30 which corresponds to the standard Ford WSS - M2C 913 -B .
After browsing the internet, I found that this should be exactly the same oil as Texaco Havoline 5W30 oil .

I wonder , is my conclusion correct?

Thank you very much for the information !

Answer: Dear Sir (ok I think that one is not appropriate, but I dont remember better word
smile.gif
) ,

your conclusion is correct. All Petrol motor oils are re-brand of the brand Texaco . This also applies to the Petrol Energy 5w30 wich is re-brand of Texaco Havoline Energy 5W-30

Sincerely ,
Aleš Arnšek

What is more interesting is that same oils on USA site doesnt have ACEA and some other (EU) specs.....but in EU they do (although slightly old ones)
smile.gif

Proof: https://www.petrol.si/sites/www.petrol.si/files/katalog_izdelkov_petrol.pdf

Prijatno čitanje prijatelju
smile.gif

There are many 5W30 oils. I do not think that regular Chevron/TX 5W30 oil that you can find across shelfs in the U.S. meets any special requirements except API or some other that are unique for Japanese or American cars. Maybe Petrol offers those oils too for some Japanese and U.S. cars in Europe, although I rarely seen them available. I know OMV had bunch of 5W30's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back