What would you monitor from OBDII?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stewie
You gotta pay for it though

I'm not sure what this post means. Are you saying that the paid version of Torque will access our MDX's data as fast as the free version accesses our CR-V's data?

Before this year, I was all for things like this. I even went out and bought my own tool just for monitoring my vehicle while I was driving. I used it quite a bit, and still use it to pull codes, and check on general vehicle health. I used to have it plugged in ALL the time in my truck. Here is what I had.
http://www.scangauge.com/

Now…I no longer drive with it plugged in unless I am actively trying to solve a problem. I was at a week long training course at the SAE headquarters in Detroit. I was asking some questions about vehicle networks and communication, and earned myself the opportunity to meet a very high up engineer at a foreign car company. He was specifically at the SAE headquarters to meet with the heads of several insurance companies in regards to the “passive” scanning devices that you plug into your OBDII port to get a discount. The short story is…anything plugged into that port disrupts vehicle communication. The OBDII port is just an interface into the vehicle network (it’s a node on the internal vehicle bus) – think of it like a gateway. Well, different nodes on a bus have different priority. That makes sure that important messages like vehicle speed, throttle position, AIRBAGS going off, etc. has a HIGH priority, and their messages can actually kick messages of lesser important off the bus. Well, the OBDII node is the HIGHEST priority on the bus because it is supposed to be used for diagnostic purposes (ie. just in the lab or garage setting). When you plug anything into the OBDII port, that device just became more important that the computer that controls vehicle stability, your airbags, your ABS, etc. ***** was meeting with the heads of these insurance companies to urge them to NOT offer those devices to the public because it has the chance to make their cars LESS safe and cause performance issues. In talking with him, the summary was “don’t leave things plugged into your OBDII port, or you risk messing up your car.”

So…now I no longer drive around with my scanner plugged in.

I call scangauge/ultraguage devices as "naggers"; imagine your significant other or worse your boss bugging you to give updates all the time about your whereabouts or the project you are working on. Won't you be peeved? I bet ECM feels the same way :)

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
Before this year, I was all for things like this. I even went out and bought my own tool just for monitoring my vehicle while I was driving. I used it quite a bit, and still use it to pull codes, and check on general vehicle health. I used to have it plugged in ALL the time in my truck. Here is what I had.
http://www.scangauge.com/

Now…I no longer drive with it plugged in unless I am actively trying to solve a problem. I was at a week long training course at the SAE headquarters in Detroit. I was asking some questions about vehicle networks and communication, and earned myself the opportunity to meet a very high up engineer at a foreign car company. He was specifically at the SAE headquarters to meet with the heads of several insurance companies in regards to the “passive” scanning devices that you plug into your OBDII port to get a discount. The short story is…anything plugged into that port disrupts vehicle communication. The OBDII port is just an interface into the vehicle network (it’s a node on the internal vehicle bus) – think of it like a gateway. Well, different nodes on a bus have different priority. That makes sure that important messages like vehicle speed, throttle position, AIRBAGS going off, etc. has a HIGH priority, and their messages can actually kick messages of lesser important off the bus. Well, the OBDII node is the HIGHEST priority on the bus because it is supposed to be used for diagnostic purposes (ie. just in the lab or garage setting). When you plug anything into the OBDII port, that device just became more important that the computer that controls vehicle stability, your airbags, your ABS, etc. ***** was meeting with the heads of these insurance companies to urge them to NOT offer those devices to the public because it has the chance to make their cars LESS safe and cause performance issues. In talking with him, the summary was “don’t leave things plugged into your OBDII port, or you risk messing up your car.”

So…now I no longer drive around with my scanner plugged in.

Bus congestion, as you implied, concerns me so I looked into the CAN protocol a bit. First of all the bus is physically just a 2-wire 120 ohm twisted pair. ISO 11898-2 is a linear bus terminated at each end. The transmitters only transmit on the bus when the bus is free. The questions I have are what is the bandwidth of the bus and how much bandwidth are we generating by poling the ECU with whatever scanner we're using?

Maybe this doesn't matter so much... From the Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus#Architectureen.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus#Architecture

"The CAN specifications use the terms "dominant" bits and "recessive" bits where dominant is a logical 0 (actively driven to a voltage by the transmitter) and recessive is a logical 1 (passively returned to a voltage by a resistor). The idle state is represented by the recessive level (Logical 1). If one node transmits a dominant bit and another node transmits a recessive bit then there is a collision and the dominant bit "wins". This means there is no delay to the higher-priority message, and the node transmitting the lower priority message automatically attempts to re-transmit six bit clocks after the end of the dominant message. This makes CAN very suitable as a real time prioritized communications system."

Good information! So the new questions are, what number node is our scanner and what number node is the ECU? My skeptic wants to say that no way have the auto manufacturers allowed safety equipment to have a higher node number and therefore lower priority than other nodes, but maybe, as your wrote, that's exactly the problem and that our scanner may have a lower node number and potentially preempt other messages.

I'm having some trouble with your description of the OBDII port. "Well, the OBDII node is the HIGHEST priority on the bus because it is supposed to be used for diagnostic purposes (ie. just in the lab or garage setting)." The OBDII port for our purposes is just a physical access point to the CAN bus. It is the node number of the connected device which determines message priority and only if 2 nodes transmit at the same time does message priority come into play.

It seems to me we've come back to the bus bandwidth (1 Mbit/s) and bus loading questions. If something like Wireshark were available for CAN ISO 11898-2:2003 (and it probably does exist in someone's lab) it would be child's play to see the bus utilization and how that utilization changes with the use of a ScanGauge or UltraGauge.

So who's got the goods to do some tests? The UltraGauge people naturally don't seem concerned, but the poling rate is adjustable. I have an open ticket with them and will ask about the bandwidth of the UltraGauge.

OBD is just usually just a node on CANBUS, it typically is not connected to things like security, safety, etc. A gateway on the network determines what data the OBD PORT has access to. The OBD PORT does have access to the other parts of the network, but those are different terminals on the port. This applies mostly to newer vehicles. If you have a newer GM then GMLAN controls many of the interior networks (similar to CANBUS, but a different protocol). You can buy or modify scanners to access this network. This offers some fun stuff, like rolling your windows down from your phone for example.

I love my scanner and the Torque app. It took me a bit but I finally found the transmission temp PID which is nice. I occasionally view my display, but I really use it for logging. The goal is to analyze long term trends to see if anything is going wrong, but I have had difficulty finding a computer program capable of handling the massive number of entries.

My application is going to be an UltraGauge EM+ in my 2015 Nissan Frontier. I already own an OBDII to USB box I use for troubleshooting and suspect that I just need better software for it to monitor the CAN bus.

My use of the UltraGauge is primarily for checking trip fuel economy. I have several different routes to choose from on my commute and I want to know the route of least fuel use. Do I go over the hill on the shorter route with fewer stops and slow-downs or do I go down the river to avoid the climb, but make an extra stop with more slow turns and accelerations? I would also like to see if the pending gearbox fluid change nets me any fuel economy gains.

The other use is to monitor things that the ECU knows, but doesn't show on the dash like charging system voltage and engine load. Distance to empty should be nice, but I already know that I can go 100 miles after the low fuel light comes on. I don't imagine trans temp is available on my manual trans pickup.

In most vehicles, I'll watch coolant temp, intake air temp, knock retard, load %, vacuum/boost, oil temp or pressure if it's available, and trans temp (in my truck at least). Anything beyond that is usually when I'm looking for something specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back