One final time, Motorkote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about Motorkote or have any experience using the product.

I just came back from Northern Canada and they are using the product all over the place in all kinds of applications. It gets kind of cold up there and they are always looking for something to solve lubrication problems. So far they are sticking with Motorkote. I was not there long enough to ask any questions or look in detail at how they are using the stuff because I'm allergic to being frozen to death and returned to the real world where the home freezer is colder than outside the house.

Popular with the diesel crowd here.

I asked about this stuff a couple years ago. Someone did a voa and from what I remember there weren't much in respect to an additive package.
However I do remember that it is an ester which makes it a group 5 base stock.
The diesel crowd I'm referring to swear it lowers oil temps. These guys have gauges for everything and the rigs are either decked out for towing or pavement princesses with 6" lifts

The fuel treatment is great stuff though. Hard to find but increased my mileage when I tested it over a couple thousand miles.
I don't bother with any additives anymore except liqui-moly.

What exactly do you think is in this miracle bottle that an oil formulator does not have access to?

What is missing from the motor oil that this fixes?

The way I figure it, motor oil is a delicate brew of anti wear additives, detergents/dispersants, base oils and friction modifiers and at best an additive is going to upset this delicate balance and reduce effectiveness.

At worst your going to add something that will actually increase your engine wear and shorten your bearing life.

I've seen a few uoas with questionable additives with elevated wear, I don't think motorkote is any exception here.

I won't even argue the wallet lightening factor.

I don't know about Motorkote but don't the people who formulate LiquiMoly motor oils include Moly in one of their high mileage oil?

If we place credence on the oil formulator's expertise, maybe there is something to be said about this additive for high mileage vehicles when blended or recommended by an oil formulator.

Originally Posted By: Evanson
I don't know about Motorkote but don't the people who formulate LiquiMoly motor oils include Moly in one of their high mileage oil?

If we place credence on the oil formulator's expertise, maybe there is something to be said about this additive for high mileage vehicles when blended or recommended by an oil formulator.

What makes you think moly is the only thing in this product?

Liqui moly MOS2 is great if you want moly and probably one of the few "good" additives although it's not necessary for most users.

Here is a VOA if you're interested.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1234989

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
What makes you think moly is the only thing in this product?

What makes you think that's what I think?
grin.gif

I guess that there's no one among BITOG members that knows enough about MotorKote to comment other than the no additive comments.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I guess that there's no one among BITOG members that knows enough about MotorKote to comment other than the no additive comments.

I don't have any hard core, scientific info for ya. I have mentioned before that I used it in a C15 Cat engine. My uoa with motorkote in it showed massive increases in aluminum, chromium and iron. No big jump in bearing metals, though.

Next oci metals were way down and eventually went back to normal. I also put it in my diffs and transmission (No uoa's in those). The truck went another few hundred thousand miles without trouble, but I never put it in anything again. Ed (Mr Motorkote) said it was just cleaning out my engine. I don't believe that as I bought the truck new and was overzealous with my oci's for sure.

That being said, I love motorkote for many uses. It is a strong spray lube that lasts a long time and very slippery. A little goes a long way, too.

It's a fantastic spray lube. I just don't use it in any engines, gear boxes, etc. I was much younger and more willing to try stuff like that when I used it in my very expensive piece of machinery.
smile.gif

No measured improvement in mpg's but I never had a regular route and a tractor trailer is severely affected by the slightest wind so it would have been hard to ever say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back