2015 Nissan Murano AWD lock feature gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the new 2015 and noticed all tiers don't have the lock feature. Any ideas why this is? I asked the dealership and they didn't know either. Makes no sense that the Rogue would keep this feature and even my Juke but to not even offer it on the Murano is disappointing.

The murano is targeted at people who want a car that looks like it can go off road. The other models with lockable doffs are for people who know know how to go off road

Like the X-Trail and others, no doubt the lock mode overrides the electronics and provides full current to the AWD multi-plate clutch (only up to 6 mph if I understand correctly) but since the clutch is operated internally by a pilot clutch driving a mechanical servo it still needs a slight front/rear speed difference to engage.

I can only speculate that Nissan found it easier to smarten-up the electronics rather than educate owners as to when it is appropriate to use. On one road test of the X-Trail (UK's Fifth Gear) the driver thought it was appropriate to use to improve track lap time.

Very true. Makes sense. I seen on the brochure before we left it showed the AWD system said the Murano starts with all 4 wheels enabled than goes into Intelligent AWD mode again.

I still can't believe anyone buys a stock vehicle from the factory completely unmodified and tries to take it off road.

Most car buyers are morons so its simpler to let the computer figure it out.

Around 2000 Mercedes was forced to go to electronic swtich's for the trans axle and differential locks on the G wagon for this reason. Moron owners would try to engage the front locker at 80mph in the rain....

Now they have switch's and by hitting it all you are doing is making a request for the computer to engage the lockers.

Some newer cars have a switch for the terrain you travel on. Dry roads, wet roads, ice, sand, and so on. Those modes might effect how much torque is sent to the rear wheels, but I am not totally sure of that.

Does the Murano have that kind of switch?

AWD lock(software based) is very good feature for deep snow or mud in a tough driveway. My sister used to have such a hard time in her 2008 RAV4 at our families vacation home driveway(1/4 mile gravel across open field ) until she discovered that "magic" button.

I end up disabling the Stability Control in my 2007 MDX as traction control system simply gets overwhelmed trying to figure out how to go through 1.5'-2' drifted snow and compensates by reducing engine power and applying brakes slowing it so it gets stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back